1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How long did it take to get a complete rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Starla84, May 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Starla84

Starla84

May 14, 2018
    Tropea, Italy
    hey there!
    First of all i apologize if my English won't be perfect, it is not my mother language so hope i'll be clear enough.
    i'd like to ask you a question: how long did it take to you to have a complete basic rig, bass + head and cabinet?
    I've always used my old combo whenever i could, otherwise I've borrowed heads and cabinets here and there , coz i've basically spent all of my money on my beloved stingray, and now i'm broke
    I think it will take ages to save the money i need!

Pbassmanca likes this.
  2. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    I bought a servicable combo for practicing, in my case a Crate BX80, for my first rehearsal. I made sure to have a 'proper' amp, again for me that was an Ashdown MAG 4x10" combo, for our first gig.

These days you can gig without an amp, 15 years ago (or 'yesterday' as some of the old folks on here would call it) you needed an amp to do anything.

3. Welcome to Talk Bass. It would help if you filled out your profile fully. Where you live and your age helps us to help you more accurately.

Our gear and our income is always at odds. We want a new amp - no money for it. A new cabinet - the same. You now have a great foundation in that you now have a great bass. You now have to save and save until you can afford a new amplifier and speaker cabinet. What is the combo that you have at the moment?

DrummerwStrings and Starla84 like this.
  4. @Jack is that great Brown stuff still flowing? i drank gallons of that when I was younger!! :)

5. jetbike

jetbike

Apr 2, 2011
    Sydney, 'Straya
    Define 'complete'.

TinIndian and DrummerwStrings like this.
  6. Starla84

Starla84

May 14, 2018
    Tropea, Italy
    Filled as much as i could...so yeah, i have the same problem as everybody else i guess!
    That combo was the very first amp i bought, and now I use it as a monitor on stage so i still need a head and cabinet, coz i can't go on borrowing them forever

Pbassmanca likes this.
  7. Starla84

Starla84

May 14, 2018
    Tropea, Italy
    As i wrote, a bass + head and cabinet.
    The very very basic things you'd need on a stage :)

8. Starla84

Starla84

May 14, 2018
    Tropea, Italy
    Oh and BassmanPaul, thanks for welcoming me! my combo is a very crappy behringer bx1200, which i bought in the first place to practice when i bought my first bass.
    Then it became a monitor to play on stage, and i always had to borrow heads and cabinet from my friends, and now...well it's time to buy something nice, but i bought my all time favourite dream bass...and then bought my house...so i have really no money left
    :dead:

9. Been there done that! Don’t you hate when reality gets in the way! :)

10. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Hmmm... I gigged with various heads and 2x10 cabs at different times, probably first acquired after maybe three years or so of playing bass. I no longer have it and play through a GK combo now (also 2x10, the MB210).

Apart from personal taste, to me it really just depends on what kinds of gigs you're playing. The classic refrigerator stack with an 8x10 and all is great if you're playing big arena stages, but frankly for the kinds of small bars and clubs and such I usually find myself in, it would be terrible overkill. I do just fine with my 2x10 and at that scale it doesn't much matter whether the head and cab are separate or combined. Again, unless you have a taste issue that you can't get in the combo.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  11. I gigged a combo 300 watt 1x15 fender bxr bass combo for a year before I got a markbass amp and used Bergantino cabs. The combo worked great for the small to medium gigs I had. Keep your eyes on the classifieds here, save your cash and you’ll find something you like better.

Pbassmanca and DrummerwStrings like this.
  12. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Welcome to TalkBass!!!

I got lucky very early on. I started playing in Spring of 85 or so. By the following Spring I had a vintage SVT rig. I was able to buy it on payments from a guy who was retiring from playing.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  13. Apropos of that, my first "gig" amp was a tube tabletop radio, inside a refrigerator box!!! We painted the box all black with some strategically placed aluminum foil, it looked menacing!! This was playing guitar...
    After that, now playing bass, I used an old (even then) Philco console radio, with 15" (I think) speaker. I sounded pretty awesome, but it weighted a ton!! How I miss this one!!!

To the OP, if you already have your dream bass, you're ahead of many of us at the same stage. Get an old, powerful, bulletproof Peavey (or Italian equivalent) and get gigging!!! Don't worry too much about a "Dream Rig" at this point.
    Welcome and best wishes to you!!!

Diego

14. 30+ years of playing, and I still don't think of my rig as complete!

That is, I am constantly building/buying new toys...

15. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Welcome!
    It takes as long as it takes for you to do these two things.
    1. Save money
    2. Find the best deals you can on used gear in your area.

The hunt for good deals can be fun. Enjoy!

16. TL;DR: years.

My first serviceable rig - and by that I mean bridge to nut setup functional enough to score (and keep) gigs - required disposable income. The final coin on the counter was for a giggable amp. Spent as big as I could on the bass and as little as I could on the amp. Which is how I came into dubiously proud ownership of a Peavey TNT 100.

Presently my rig will grow down. Mine is a mighty fine rig that will reasonably see me through any indoor venue. When I invested in the amplification side, scale was a factor. And I factored up: there's enough horsepower for the largest forseeable gig. What I did not reckon was factoring down: an ultra-portable rig for the smallest of rooms. There simply is no need for me to haul the whole enchillada to every venue. And back. At night. With several flights of stairs.

Which means to me my complete rig will include a one-load carry (and the game rule says "no carts"). Which of course means other band members will tap me on their load-ins and load-outs ....

Pbassmanca likes this.
  17. sigterm

sigterm ;) ;) ;), love y'all Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2003
    Atlanta G of A
    The antique mall near me has a bunch of vintage tube radios and I've really been tempted to convert one into something for recording bass, but I've also got a tele that could benefit too. They're just a wee bit proud of them ($85) for an experiment though. Love the idea of it.

diegom and Pbassmanca like this.
  18. RadioactiveGuy4

RadioactiveGuy4 Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2011
    New Orleans
    I traded an Oboe for My first bass cab. One of the best decisions I have ever made.

I then went and got a cheap Newer Acoustic head from a pawn shop.

All said probably about 2 months of actively looking.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  19. Anemic_SluG

Anemic_SluG Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Washington
    I got lucky and many moons ago I still lived with my parents and got a Peavey Megabass and 1516 cab. Rocked it for close to 25 years. Now that the kids are grown I finally have some disposable income (The college bills aren't here yet). So I have my Mesa/Berg rig.
    Depending on your location there are great deals to be had, most notably is Peavey, GK and Fender and SWR. I see used gear all the time go for value. Then as life progresses you can upgrade on that. There is still some magic in those vintage amps.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  20. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    Hi and welcome!
    I went the used route, finding a cab was more than easy. Not sure how things are over on your side of the world. Here older y perfectly good, but heavy cabs are cheap and easily found in all different flavors. It probably took me a few weeks to find a head to my liking. Good Luck! And welcome to the Secret Society.
    Peace N Chicken Grease

Pbassmanca and ThinCrappyTone like this.