1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

how long did it take you to acquire your collection?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by coolrunner989, Jul 18, 2007.

1. How long has it taken you guys to get all your pedals? Just curious...

2. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Since the day I started playing bass, almost 2 years ago :D

Seriously, though... I bought an NYC Big Muff that day. I didn't keep it for long (I wasn't ready to jump into effects yet)... but I did end up springing for a Little Big Muff later.

I'd like to say I'm done, but I'm not... I'm still exploring more pedals!

Some of us buy lots of pedals at once. But me? I'm one of the choosy ones who takes his time.

Although... it's not uncommon to see me buy and sell pedals every few weeks...

3. yeah, thats cool. I bought a GT6-B soon after I bought my first bass, and I recently sold that and I've been on a pedal spree it seems this summer (Boss EQ-20, Sansamp Tri-AC, Boss TU-2, Dunlop bass wah, Morely bass wah...possibly another overdrive..) I'll be selling one of the wahs after I try them out, but still....

After this though, I imagine I'll calm down for a while, then go get a chorus, delay, maybe a flanger, and hopefully call it quits for a while.

4. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    IMO, I think I've narrowed down my effects to everything I need. I'm just aching to play around with delay and bitcrusher pedals, though, as they're the only other effect types I'm really interested in at the moment.

For overdrive, fuzz, wah, chorus, and compression, I think I'm pretty much set... for now. But it took me 2 years to get there (especially with the first two!) :meh:

5. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I played without any pedals for years and years, never thinking how cool they could be.

I had a collection of pedals as a teenager playing guitar but when I switched to bass in my early 20's, I played clean, spending tons of money on complex rack systems and cabs.

In Janurary 2006, I bought a Zoom B2 and kept it for about two weeks before realizing that if I was going to have some effects, I would much prefer old school single effect pedals.

I had a Boss DD3 sitting in a gig bag for about 10 years not being used.

I took the Zoom back and bought a used Phase90 and then I kind of went crazy over the last year and a half.

I have quite a collection now but still get excited over many new pedals. I estimated I have spent over $2,000 on pedals and my Pedal Train Pro board in the past 18 months...

Damn I could have bought another Stingray!

6. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    It's taken me years to get all of my stuff. I'm guessing about 15 years total. When I was a teenager, getting pedals was a pain cause I didn't really have the money, so I bought what I needed when I needed it. Now that I have a well paying job, I can easily fall into the "I buy a few pedals at once" camp. I'm going to be making a purchase very soon...I'm just having a hard time deciding what I really need, and what I can sell that I already have. Here's what I plan on getting...most likely all at once:

Guyatone Ultron (or a Bottom Wah Rocker if I can find one)
    Guyatone Tube Tremolo
    Boss DD-3 (or DD-5 or DD-6)
    Colorsound Tone Bender Reissue
    Barge Concepts loop thingy
    A 2nd Voodoo Lab PPII+
    Pro Co Turbo Rat
    BYOC Wah kit for my Crybaby
    Digitech Whammy of some sort (Bass preferrably, but I'm not paying over $300 for one, so a WH-4 is more likely)

Crazy...I know. Yes, I'm a Tool fanboy.

7. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    I've been collecting pedals for the last several years and I'm still going. I've been known to change my pedalboard for every gig at times. And that was 2-3 gigs a week. I've slowed down nowadays.

8. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I don't know. I'll let you know when I'm done :D

I have pedals that I bought in the late-80's. I have pedals that I bought within the last month. I expect there will be more coming in the future.

9. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    AFAIK, nobody here has the qualification essential to give you an answer: a once-and-for-all-time completed pedalboard or rack. Most of the TB effects regulars are like a compulsive eater at buffet. It might be a while between plates, but you know sooner or later they're going back for another little taste of something. :bag:

10. Well I've been playing bass for a few years, but I was a gui**** before that. I had effects for my guitar, but they are none of the effects I currently own as I wasn't really planning on using effects with my bass.... I got sick of that idea after about 18 months or so :)

So, having said that, this is about 18 months worth of shopping :hyper: Barge Concepts VFB-2 and Fodera outboard Pre are not pictured:

EFFECTS.

11. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Well, I bought a Boss ODB-3 several years ago. It sucked, so it collected dust until I decided to sell it. Then I bought a Fulltone Bassdrive around a year ago, and a Deep Impact that wasn't seeing any use in the band so it got sold. I only started buying lots of pedals recently: This year I bought: Aguilar DB-924 (not really an effect, plus it's for sale), Sansamp PBDDI (sold), Tech21 XXLbass, EhX Metal Muff (sold) and only in the last month or so I bought: X2 wireless (again, not an effect, but in pedal form), EhX Little Big Muff, EhX Bass Micro Synth, Akai Unibass (x2), ToneFactor Cream Pie, Zoom UF-101 Ultra Fuzz and I'll soon be buying a true bypass strip and a rockcase pedalboard to put all this stuff in. Needless to say, I've been broke for a couple of weeks now - actually in debt, but I got paid and I recovered. It sure has been a fun ride, but I really need to settle down to just a few. Some will need to go. The only stuff I'm considering now is a HOG to replace the Unibasses and maaaaybe an FXdoctor bass bit fuzz if I don't like the Zoom Ultra Fuzz (it's not here yet). Possibly a compressor too. I decided to stay with 4 basic sounds: one overdrive, one distortion, one fuzz and one synth. My wallet really needs me to succeed in keeping it down to this.

12. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    well said. +1.

a few years after i started playing (which was about 15 years ago) i got a korg multi unit... forgot which one. then i went to college and played mostly upright (i was being "classically trained"). about 2+1/2 years ago i started working at GC... and that's when the serious collecting began. there's something about being surrounded by gear and making money that makes you want to buy the gear. don't know what it is. the devil is a busy man.

here's an updated list of what i've amassed thus far:

1. 3Xfx FatMan Distortion/Oscillator
    2. Alien Hate Fuzz
    3. Ampeg Sub-Blaster Octaver
    4. Anaplex Delay
    5. Aphex Bass Xciter
    6. Aramat Effects Tubular Tremolo
    7. Aria DMX10 Flanger/Chorus
    8. Barber LTD Special Recipe Overdrive
    9. BargeConcepts VFB2 Blender/Feedback Looper
    10. BargeConcepts RC2 Compressor
    11. Bent-It Synthbox/noisemaker
    12. BJFE Blueberry Bass Overdrive
    13. Boss TR2 Tremolo
    14. Boss TU2 Tuner
    15. Boss HM2 Heavy Metal
    16. Boss DD3 Digital Delay
    17. Boss DD6 Digital Delay
    18. Boss BF2 Flanger
    19. Boss PQ3B Bass Parametric EQ
    20. Boss PH1r Phaser
    21. Boss LM2B Bass Limiter
    22. Boss OD2 Turbo Overdrive
    23. Boss OS2 Overdrive/Distortion
    24. Boss BF2B Bass Flanger
    25. Boss CE2B Chorus
    26. Boss PW2 Power Driver
    27. Boulevard BFL-10 Flanger
    28. CoPilotFX Android
    29. Danelectro Dan-Echo Delay
    30. Demeter Opto Compulator
    31. DOD 250 Overdrive
    32. DOD 201 Phasor
    33. DOD FX60 Chorus
    34. DOD FX25 Envelope Filter
    35. DOD FX90 Analog Delay
    36. DOD DFX9 Digital Delay
    37. EBS MultiComp Compressor
    38. Electro-Harmonix Stereo Pulsar Tremolo
    39. Electro-Harmonix POG Octaver
    40. Electro-Harmonix Small Stone (Russian) Phaser
    41. Electro-Harmonix Double Muff Overdrive/Distortion
    42. Electro-Harmonix Big Muff (Russian) Fuzz
    43. Electro-Harmonix Bass Microsynth Synthesizer
    44. Electro-Harmonix Qtron+ Envelope Filter
    45. Electro-Harmonix BassBalls Dual Envelope Follower
    46. Electro-Harmonix Nano BassBalls Dual Envelope Follower
    47. Electro-Harmonix Small Stone Phaser
    48. Electro-Harmonix Little Big Muff Fuzz
    49. Electro-Harmonix Hum Debugger
    50. ElectroniX Submarine
    51. Fulltone OCD Overdrive
    52. George Dennis Phaser
    53. Guyatone MC-3 Micro Chorus
    54. HAO Rust Ride Overdrive
    55. H.B.E. Hematoma Bass Overdrive
    56. Ibanez PM7 Phaser
    57. KMD Flanger
    58. KMD Analog Delay
    59. Locobox AD-01 Analog Delay (80s)
    60. Locobox Mysto-Dysto Distortion
    61. LR Baggs Para Acoustic DI
    62. Malekko B:Assmaster
    63. Maxon FL-301 Flanger
    64. Maxon AF9 Envelope Filter
    65. Maxon CS9-Pro Chorus
    66. Maxtone Compression Sustainer
    67. MaxxPlay Single Bypass Loop
    68. MI Audio Neo Fuzz
    69. Monotonic Labs Type U-73 Synthesizer
    70. Morley PWF Power Wah Fuzz
    71. MXR Smart Gate
    72. MXR Phase 90 (vodka-modded)
    73. MXR Dynacomp Compressor
    74. MXR Distortion + (1981)
    75. Radial BigShot I/O Instrument Switcher
    76. SIB Varidrive
    77. Subdecay Noise Box
    78. Tech21 CompTortion
    79. Tech21 Programmable Bass Driver DI
    80. Tech21 XXLB
    81. Tech21 Sansamp RBI Preamp
    82. Tech21 Double Drive
    83. Walco Sound-Go-Round Stutter Tremolo
    84. Yamaha CH-10MII chorus
    85. Yamaha FL-10MII flanger

i'm not stopping any time soon. i may start renting them out.
    http://[malware url removed].net/vicious-smiley-1815.gif

13. nice looking big muff :smug:

I've been acquiring pedals for about 5 years now. I have 8, but I've sold 3 in the past; a digitech BP80, danelectro delay, and a Big Muff (pictured above :D)

14. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    I'll be your first customer!

and your last :ninja:

Seriously, though... I'm game!

15. The BurgerMeister

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    i'll let you know when i "open for business."

:)

16. derrico1

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    Jetpack,

You may be well on your way to becoming the Tom Bowlus of effects. If you find yourself stricken with the urge to install extremely loud carpeting, seek professional help. (I'll do what I can to aid your treatment by taking that Blueberry off your hands.)

17. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    14+ years.

18. Yup, I'd hazard a guess that I bought my first pedal (a TS10 which I later swapped for a RAT... sucker!) in about 1990 or '91. So that's 16-17 years.

19. The BurgerMeister

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    the blueberry? no.... no, you can't have the blueberry. definitely not. that thing is amazing!

i'm making a small "drives" board right now: it'll go compressor - octave - blueberry - neo fuzz - assmaster - amp. on a pedaltrain jr.

i'm rambling a little, here. but the point is: you can't have my blueberry.

:D

20. derrico1

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    I see: still in the denial stage. Ah, well, PM me when you get to acceptance.

In the meantime, I'll keep trying to convince myself that a Blueberry and an Analog.man BiChorus w/ deep switch are not crucial to my continued well-being. For your part: resist the carpet. Let Coolrunner989 keep track to see which of us cracks first, and he will be closer to understanding the true nature of his koan.
    :)