Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How long did it take you to "get it"?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by John K., Mar 1, 2003.

1. How many years was it until you actually began being good at the bass? Not just compliments from other people about being good (just because many people are fickle and say you may be good because they havn't been exposed to something better), but a point where you began to "feel" that you were good and had enough confidence to say that you were.

I don't think I've reached that point yet, and I doubt I will for a while. I'm just interested in what you "veteran" players have to say.

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    You don't ever get it.

When I started, I thought it would take me forever to become good, but I did it because it was fun.

Five years later, I felt I could hold my own in a few situations, but still felt that I had a long way to go.

Ten years later, I could hold my own in more situations, had a better sound and technique and was more aware of what I had to do. Still ahd a long way to go, though.

Now 15, almost 16 years later, I'm actually getting compliments from listeners, some with very good ears. One couple told me their son should learn to play bass instead of guitar (No kiddin'). I thank them and inside I know I still have a long way to go.

There's no "it". "It" is where you put it. It's a bar you keep raising so you can get to the next level, and no matter how good you are, there's always another level after that.

The day I have nothing else to learn on the bass is the day I'll put it down.:bassist:

3. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    Blackbird...well said. true true true.

I know now (in my 30s) that I was TOTALLY lost on the bass in my high school garage band. I knew it then, but even more now. I'm just now (after almost 18 years) am feeling competent and confident about it. Plus, for me it has a LOT to do with the group I've been playing with for the last few years. Rather than just looking at the song/chords/bassline and playing we "develop" the sound so I have more of an ability to change, adjust, and grow my part my way.
    I will never "get it" like some of these incredible players on here do/have...but it's fun trying.:D

4. About two years . It just clicked....?

:confused:

I think I'm OK .

5. some people get it some dont. the people who get just come up with stuff faster that they like. it depends on the typ of music too. u can be the greatist player in one style and not know it and suck(well not suck u have to work to come up with stuff) at playing every thing else.

probly made no sense

6. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    You know if this was in Off topic, the title could have a totally different meaning.

I think you question depends on your musical background. I "got it" from the first moment I picked up the bass. I already read music very well, knew bass line styles, tempo, rhythm, and tons of other musical elements, but my technique stank, and is still developing. I feel like I do somethings very well, but I look at others and I wonder if I can ever to 10% of what they can do. It doesn't help that my favorite players are Norm Stockton, John Patitucci, and Rocco, they can give anybody a complex.

7. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    You never "get" it.

8. herrera

herrera

Feb 15, 2002
    like year in and a half

i just started playing bass because my "best" friend tell me to enter to their band
    but i never buy the bass
    and one time they tell me that they have already rehearsal with other guy (that already have a bass long before me and they didnt call him because he was popular with chicks and this other guys werent):bawl:

so i just gfeel like " buzz off i will be the best bassplayer in the world":bassist:

so later that month a friend of mine that stole houses stole a fender imitation bass and a 10"· peavy amp and he sold it to me in 150 bucks:D

so i start playing and playing and playing...playing a lot i mean!

only with one goal...be the best bassplayer in the world:bassist:

i didnt achieve that in 1 year and a half

but at that point they tell me that if i could join them in th e band!

so that was great!

I dindt play with any of them in a public scenary only garage jams. i always tell them "you can play without bass nobody hear it hear anyway"
    (that was their joke about bass):bassist:

Edit (BB) replacing one letter of a curse word with an asterisk is NOT covert.

9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I think, after 5 years, I am realizing that I have a long way to go in the bass world....but I am also realizing that I am on the right track. I think it was this past summer when I first started to feel confidant that I was on the right track and improving. I've always gotten compliments from seasoned vets and know-nothings alike, but I've had to take them with a grain of salt, because I've always known that I'm not as amazing as people tell me I am, and that I have A LOT of work to do to BE that amazing. But I'm really starting to feel comfortable with my style of playing, and I'm seeing improvements in my abilities to come up with good basslines, and my technique has cleaned up a lot since I started. So I think I've made some landmark improvements recently, and am really starting to move into 2nd gear(or maybe even 3rd by now)

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    or a bar that you play at to make the dough to buy new gear :D

11. Interesting question, John K.

I think it goes in stages. The "I'm confident in my ability" self-reassurance seemed to occur at several different times (stages of bass playing) for me (others may relate). Chronology of phases:

the high-school party bands
    the high school jazz band
    the 80's heavy metal cover band
    the college-crowd party band
    the navy school-shipmate band
    the sit-ins with old high-school friends' bands
    the successful club band I'm in now

I guess there were times that I had that confident feeling in each situation. Funny thing is, right now people act like I'm twice the bassist I need to be....:eek: However, by my standards, I feel that I'm half the bassist I could be.:meh:

Regardless, tonight we're playing at a new club, I'm looking forward to it, and I know I'll be up to the task and loving life. I hope other bassists get to experience _at least_ this level of satisfaction, if not more, in their musical life.:)

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That's right - and the people who think they have - definitely haven't!! ;)

13. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    bass is not a competition, there is no absolute standard of what is "good" so how can some one get "it"?

having a realistic sense of one's own abilities and shortcomings as a player is essential to personal growth. if that means that one can acknowledge one's abilities in the positive, then fine, but there's always more to learn, more to grow from, more ability and facility to gain on the instrument.

too often the younger folks, new on the instrument, become dazzled by the successes that they have in learning - leaps and bounds being made all the time - and confuse this relatively rapid growth with some level of badass-ness. every new player has done that, and it's mostly relatively harmless. the only problem is that this kind of thinking can hamstring a player in his early developmental stages, and slow down that player's growth on the instrument.

so enjoy it while you can, newbies ;) you'll find that you're getting better but becoming worse the longer you play ;) :D

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That's right - the more you know, the more you realise there is (still) to know - ignorance is bliss!! ;)

15. :D

16. Blackbird said it for me.

17. Bryan_G

Bryan_G

Apr 28, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    I got it after about 6months. Then 2 weeks later I figered out I didn't get it. Now I know I will never get it. The more I know the more I find there is to learn. If you ever get it, you need to try something new, because you are heading in the wrong direction. Like jt said its about finding your limitations and working with them. You can always play better.

18. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

It worries me that you think it's funny that you got a good deal on stolen property!:(

I'm sure plenty of people here who have worked hard to get their gear and then have it stolen will also be suitably unimpressed!

19. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I agree with what Blackbird & Bruce etc. have said.

You'll never get 'it', because when you do get what you thought was 'it', you'll see a whole lot more of 'it' to get. The more you learn the more realise you have yet to learn.

It's an evolution, it never stops - it really is the study of a lifetime.

And that's the beauty of it.

20. JT, good words. My man, good words.