1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How long did it take you to get started?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by zktui, Dec 7, 2011.

1. zktui

zktui

Jun 7, 2011
    Since my band has started properly gigging in the past couple of months, I was just wondering how long it took other people here to get established?

Like we usually play to a crowd of say 20-40, obviously keen to play in front of more people but I wanted to know how long people have found it takes to boost their audience...

ZK-TUI

2. tabdog

tabdog

Feb 9, 2011
    I played with different county bands for
    about 2 years. We did small stuff like
    VFW clubs and so on.

I finally got with an old friend who knew
    several club owners. Then, all we had to
    do was get tight with a new drummer and
    lead guitar player and we had more gigs
    than we could do,

Tabdog

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Covers or originals?

4. meycom

meycom Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Southern Wis.
    Good question Stumbo..

5. PJMiDi

PJMiDi

Feb 27, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    Very dependant on:

Covers or Originals
    How much you promote yourselves
    How much your friends help spread the word.
    How well you do at different venues (so the owners invite you back :))

And lots more

6. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh PA USA
    All great points.

Playing well and playing nice with club owners/managers is a big part of it. I work hard at promoting the two bands that I play with and it seems to help. I post on our band's FB pages, my own FB pages, my bandmate's FB page's Venue's FB pages. I send out emails and make phone calls before each gig. We have physical and digital mailing lists. I send out post cards one a month to let followers know where we'll be and send updates by email. I send thank-you emails to friends who show up. Work the crowd on breaks. If you see people singing along or dancing at their tables, make it a point to stop and talk to them. You can grow a following, but it is work. And obviously, be professional and play your best every gig no matter the size of the crowd.

This thread might be better served in the "Band Management" section though.

7. owlie

owlie

Jun 5, 2011
    Fünland
    (For originals band..) Good way to get your name around and more people to gigs is getting gigs with some already established bands in your area. IMHO.

8. Factor88

Factor88

Jun 21, 2011
    Also, please at least vaguely define what you mean by getting "established".

9. zktui

zktui

Jun 7, 2011
    ahh sorry, didn't mean to be vague.
    We are originals.
    What I was more wondering was how long it had taken other users here reach a reasonable following to gigs. (Although i guess that's entirely dependent on geographical location)