Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How long did it take you to...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by g00eY, Feb 7, 2006.

1. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    ... learn and refine your slap technique to a presentable stage?

long story cut short: i wanna learn how to slap for my semester project for one of my classes, and i think i need to persuade my teacher that just because i know how to play bass fingerstyle, it won't really help me to learn how to slap. and i have to prove that it will take more than 3 months to learn/refine.

2. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Three months? Well I guess it all depends on your expectation level. This technique is something you can improve, refine and revise for your entire career. If the teacher doesn't recognise the scope of the task then you are out of luck. In three months you should begin to be competant in the most rudamentary parts of the technique (if you work your ass off). If you were a drummer, would it be reasonable to ask you to master all the drum rudaments in three months? Probably not. A good start yes, master no. Add to the rhythmic difficulty, harmonic content and you begin to see that this task requires some dedication. Play some Victor Wooten or any other Slap virtuoso for the teacher. If they don't get it, they don't belong teaching anything!

3. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    If it doesnt work out for your class, you should still learn how to slap.

4. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    i've playing slap ever since i picked up a bass roughly 7 years ago, since then i still don't feel my slap tech is presentable, i am proficient at it yes but presentible????? Either way practice everything you have ever learned using slap and that will help you develop different rythms, accuracy and so on, play everything slow and practice often.

5. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    well i guess i posted my first post a little odd, but whatever. i'm trying to figure out what i want to say to my teacher that will sway her decision. i'll probably find some sick slap songs and be like "k, so how about you try and do this and tell me how easy this is?" and i might just show her this thread.

how about this argument? since the topic of our research is personal identity, couldn't i argue that music is one of the largest roots of personal identity? this would be because of the fact that everything comes out in music. feelings, thoughts, etc... they all appear through the mood and lyrics to songs. AND slapping will teach me how to "get my funk on". haha...

by the way, my second choice is to build a bass. sadly that might not work out because of money, but i have some researching to do. and if she doesn't accept this idea i should drop the class or something.

6. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    How about reverse it. Personal identity is expressed through music. You'd be right on brother Goo!

7. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Well my bass teacher taught me some Chili Pepper's stuff and I wasn't really serious so I didn't really try. Then a girl at my school told me go home and download Frizzle Fry, which I did. Then I downloaded/bought EVERY OTHER Primus album and became good at slapping in a month or so.

But learning "Tommy the Cat" and "Lacquerhead" took me upwards of a month each.

8. really? Lacquerhead, I can't find a decent transcription/tab for it. When I try doing it by ear, I feel like I'm always off by like one note.
    Tommy The Cat I got down in like 20 minutes once I bought the Seas of Cheese book. I don't see why people make such a big deal of that bass line, it's not that hard.
    The Claypool song that gave me the most trouble was probably "Is It Luck?", which I still can't play properly 2 years after getting the book.

9. Kroy

Kroy

Jan 19, 2006
    [ /slight hijack ]
    Lacquerhead is mostly a two handed slapping pattern. It takes a lot of explaining to convey it properly and there are plenty of good Tabs on this site and others. I can do a poor imitation of the song but I haven't really practiced it as hardcore as I should. I have the basic pattern down. I just need to clean it up and work on tempo.

Tommy the Cat is another story for me. My slap 'n pop* technique is niether clean or fast enough currently to play that yet. Again, I just need to sit it down and woodshed it. I have the Sailing the Seas of Cheese book also so I at least know I'll be playing it right.

* - That sounds like a sugary breakfast cereal. "Silly drummer, Slap 'n Pops aren't for you."

[ /high jack ]

10. BMGecko

BMGecko

Sep 5, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    I don't really slap, and haven't for years. However, I visit this technique from time to time because it really allows for some nice things. (One reason I don't really slap is that I am a fretless player, and I feel the metal on metal sound of slapping is nealry an essential for this style.)

Perhaps you can work with your teacher on an excercise I do which entails coming up with/copping a slap line, and then working it out as a fingerstyle line. I know this isn't really what you are wanting, but using this an a method that can expand your style in at least two ways can add a bit more to your playing.

I've always felt that fingerstyle lines are inherently more funkier (my sentiments, certainly not everybody's) and can be more challenging since you have to play more notes with a more challenging role for both hands.

You can, of course, do the "start with a fingerstyle line" and do the reverse.

Hope this can add something to getting your teacher to work with you on your musical goals, remember, you can catch more flies with honey than vinegar! ;)