Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How long did you have your 1 bass for?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alx564, Oct 13, 2000.

1. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Hey everyone,
    I was just wondering how long you had your first bass for. I am talking about a beginner bass not your first good one. I've had mine for a year now and it was 99 bucks. I just cant find a good bass that I like that is in my price range otherwise i would have a different one. I was just curious to see how long you all could hold out before needing a new bass.

2. I've had mine almost a year now... an ibanez GTR50.. alright peice of junk =) got it late october last year I think... never going to sell it..

-Willz

3. Yep, I still got my first, but it's seen the business end of a jig saw, spraypaint, glue, pliers, etc. since I first layed eyes on it Christmas morning of 1987(?). Here it is:

[​IMG]

It started out as a Kramer $100 bass with a single P pickup and a badly designed angled headstock.

Now it's fretless, has an extra humbucking Fender pickup, has a few coats of paint, tons of plastic spiders glued all over it, and the tuners are rearranged to make the strings pull straight through the nut. I still love to play it.

I got another bass, an Ibanez RD707(?), a couple years later when I was playing in my first band.

Chris

4. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Throb....I think your bass has lost it's "vintage" value...:D:D

5. After playing classical violin for 15 years, and playing guitar for a number of years, I bought my first bass in 1980 for around $200. It is a Vantage, that I was told was an offshoot of Aria (I still don't really know for sure). I played in several bands with it in the early to mid 80's before buying another bass.
    Now I have have ten basses ranging from a mid 60's Gibson EBO and a Hagstrom, to a nice Lakland 5 string (one of their original 5 string prototypes I got when I worked there), but I still have that Vantage in it's original state. It's got a few dings and scraches, but it still looks and sounds exactly like it did when I bought it (though my amplification is much better now). You'll have to pry it from my dead hands after I die to get it away from me.

6. SantosL.Halper

SantosL.Halper

Sep 27, 2000
    About 3 months! I returned to bass 2 years ago by buying an Ibanez package-actually a pretty nice playing bass. Then I stole a perfect condition G & L L-2500 for $650, and sold my Ibanez to my buddy. We jam in his basement, so it became the "house bass".

7. For 43 years still have it a 1951 fender precision bass. The upright I play was my dads It was old when he bought it I've owned that one for about 35 years.

8. cole

cole

Sep 14, 2000
    Maryland
    I had a Fender mexi-Jazz (hand-me-down from my brother--he plays guitar) for about 1.5 years. I sold it to help pay for my Carvin (which I won't give up for the world), and didn't look back.

9. Cirrus

Cirrus Guest

Apr 30, 2000
    Las Vegas, NV
    I bought my first bass in 93... A Jackson Concert XL in midnight blue. I sold it last year, and even though I doubt I would even play it now, I regret having sold it.

Peter

10. Zjarrett

Zjarrett

Sep 17, 2000
    come christmas when i get the new one.....ive had my squire affinity for 9 months now i think

11. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I had mine for almost a year. I sold it because it was too big for me, but the guy who bought it was like 3 feet tall or something..

12. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    It was hard enough for me to scrape up the cash for my first bass. I think I kept it for almost 5 years before I moved up to a decent bass. It was a Vox, and no, I wouldn't want it back.

13. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'm telling ya, man, you NEED to put up some pics of your basses. i really would love to see that ole' fender. :D

14. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i still have my first bass, a berger copy i got in the mid 80s. it was a year til i got my first real bass, a ric 4001. still have that one too. in fact, i never sold a bass - pack rat's - r- us. :D

15. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I had a Crestwood P-Bass Copy with Select Pickups, Leo Quan Bad ASS II Bridge for about a Year.
    It was $139 + the accesories.

16. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    This Christmas I will of have owned my MIM Jazz for 4 years...i can't believe i didn't play it that much for the first year. Now it's like i don't go a day with out playing it. This Dec-Jan. i'm buying an Ashbory in Blue. This bass has brought some good things so thus i am giving it a "customized" look to it. This year [8th grade] i am gonna cover some of my bass with pics from the year & stuff the pics however won't be in places that interfere with playing & sounding of the instrument. that's all

17. The Keeper

The Keeper

Sep 2, 2000
    I still have my first bass, but I've only had it for 3 months and I'm going to upgrade it really soon. I love it and all, and it was a great bass for learning on, but I really need something better. I had a Rogue SX100B and I think I'm going to get an Ibanez SR800 :)

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

My first was actually a very decent Memphis P bass copy, I wish I still had the darned thing!

I had it for about 1 1/2 years, then my dad had to sell it and my silverface Fender Bassman 10:)(WAHH!!!:() to buy food. Oh yeah, and my 5 piece drumset with Paiste cymbals, too!

19. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I got my first bass on Christmas 1986 and had it untill 1992. It was an old Fender Music Master. A short scale bass it was, I wish I still had her, my dad went thru alot of trouble to refinish it and I sold it, I saw it in a pawn shop about 2 years ago, and it was refinished again in a beautiful tobacco color. If I had the money Id have bought it again.

20. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Still have my first: A bass built by Dale Peters of the James Gang. It was a basic Warmoth P with a J neck and Fender Lace passives. I played it for three years before I got another bass. I remember that I didn't even change the strings for about a year (didn't know I had to). I've upgraded a few parts, but I still am not happy with the sound, so it just collects dust and occassionally becomes practice ground for repair/upgrade/setup. It's a money pit that just keeps telling me "Upgrade my pickups"... "Upgrade my neck"... "Upgrade my tuners"... SHUT UP BASS!