1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How Long Did You Wait for your Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LP75, Oct 26, 2006.

1. LP75

LP75

Aug 29, 2006
    Seattle
    I placed an order for a new Modulus Q5 in August, through my local dealer. It's been 10 weeks so far. They are building the instrument the way I want it, which is all typical catalog stuff (although the top wood is one of the less common types).
    Having a bass built by hand just for me is very cool, yet waiting for it is making me go crazy. It's a trade off that I hope will be worthwhile in the long run.

How long have YOU waited for a bass that you ordered?
    How did you keep your sanity?

LP75

2. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    I just ordered my first custom last month. I sent the deposit a few weeks ago. I should have it before Christmas. How do you keep your sanity? Just keep telling yourself that when it does come, it will be the bass that you wanted, without compromise.

3. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    My first custom bass, as Alembic Distillate took around 3 months to get to my hands.

Right now I am waiting on a new Carvin Icon IC4 Fretless, should have it by the middle of next month.....about 7 weeks after ordering it. My Carvin Elite took about 8 weeks.

4. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    I was quoted 120 days by Birdsong at the time I placed my order. "120 days" fell at the end of the week that the builder and his wife were going on vacation, so I got it about 2 weeks early.

I think it was the advantage of getting the 120 day quote right after they switched from the old 90 day build time quotes. I got "120 days - just to be safe" instead of "at least 120 days."

5. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    My FBB 7 string was ordered on February 2, 2006 and delivered on September 16, 2006 .... 7.5 months, but totally custom to my specs and well worth the wait :D But I also had some very nice basses to play while I was waiting, so it made life easier ....... :cool:

[​IMG]

6. I waited just over 6 months for my US Master EP42 (pics coming as soon as my digital camera arrives) and i'll only be waiting about 2 months for my MM Sterling (currently on order w/ Bass Central, expected ship date is 11-17-06).

I keep going back up to GC and playing the Sterling they have to keep my GAS in check.

7. This is disgusting, I know, but I waited 6 months for my Ibanez SR506.

/figures it was a test by God in preparation for ordering a custom

8. LP75

LP75

Aug 29, 2006
    Seattle
    I have found myself going into guitar stores to play $3000.++ Gibson Les Paul reissues to keep from thinking about the Modulus. It's not working, and now I want a new Les Paul.....

LP

9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

At this point I have never waited more then 6 months for a bass to be built for me.

10. LeftyJack

LeftyJack

Feb 23, 2006
    San Carlos, CA
    I ordered a lefthanded G&L ASAT bass and was told it would be 16 weeks until delivery....8 weeks later it arrived. It's all good. :)

11. OXploiter

OXploiter

Aug 1, 2006
    I can't wait for tribal3140 to jump into this thread....

12. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Back in Nov. 1981 I ordered a G&L fretless.

It finally arrived at the store in late April of 1982 a month after I had given up and bought a B.C. Rich fretless from the dealer instead (big mistake in retrospect) but 7 months was a long wait when the factory couldn't even tell the store when it would be finished.

Oh and when it DID finally arrive, G&L had changed the design of the bass!!! So it wasn't even what I wanted :help:

13. puff father

puff father Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    :D :D :D

Alembic Spoiler back in '85 about 4 months as I recall

F bass BN5 ordered mid January '06, picked up mid May '06.

I guess four months is the magic number for me. :)

:bassist:

14. On april 11,2oo6,I ordered my birdsong sadhana which i recieved oct ,24th. 2006,the day before my birthday:hyper: (this is my 5th birdsong)shown below,,,,,also,,in march 2006, i ordered 2 4-string Carl Thompsons ,which I expect a 2-2 1/5 yearwait:eek: ....I have several basses:bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: to past the time before they arrive !!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. 1kinal

1kinal Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2006
    Montreal, Qc. Canada
    Endorsing Artist: SIT strings
    I had to wait 8 months to get my Kinal, back in 2000.

16. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    4.5 years for my Rickenbacker 4004LK (#21 of 60). Ric has a lengthy backlog for standard instruments and add problems with keeping a carver on the job and things got crazy. I tried not to think about the wait much but it was frustrating. Well worth it though now that it is in my mitts.....just a great bass.

3135dc02.gif DSC00347.gif

17. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    I waited about a year for my Zon Sonus Elite custom fretless thingy. Well worth the wait too.

18. 4.5 years is a long time ,but it looks like it was worth It!!! :bag: Enjoy !!!!:bassist:

19. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    It took me two years to find a used Alembic I could afford. Does that count?

20. zeronyne

zeronyne Recovering Keyboard Player

Nov 24, 2003
    Chicago
    I placed money down for my Nordstrand just before Christmas of 2004. Should be here any week now...