Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How long do bands play around your area?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tsal, Mar 7, 2003.

1. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    This might be better suited to Band Management, but anyways.

There was some discussion on my local musicians board about how long do cover bands play each night. I became curious, so in your part of the woods, how long does typical rock cover group stay on the stage?

Here the standard seems to be two or three sets lasting 45-60 minutes each, plus couple encore songs if the audience likes it - usual style is to demand encore even from poor new acts, so in that way I think my local scene is nice.

Oldies dance bands might do 5 or 6 times the 45min, but that's a bit different case. Also, bands playing original stuff typically play one 1h 15min set, plus the encores.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I play in a 50's/60's/70's rock band.

Most of the clubs around here expect for you to fill up 4 1/2 to 5 hours from start to finish.

That usually means 5 45 minute sets with 15 minute breaks between, or 4 50 - 55 minute sets with 3 longer breaks.

3. In the blues clubs I frequent here the standard is 3 40-45 minute sets, starting at 10pm and finishing at 1am.

In the more rock oriented venues with original bands, there is wide variation, but one common standard is for two bands each to play one original set of 45-60 minutes.

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    in a group that i play trumpet with, we usually play one two hour set straight (all original)

in other bands, rarely do we get booked for more then 4 hours

5. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    My band plays frat parties, and we play from around 10:30 or 10:45 to 2, with one 10-15 minute break. So I guess that makes each set a little over an hour and a half. The long sets are a bit bothersome when you have to pee.

6. My 80's and Classic Rock and Originals band plays between 3-4 hours with 2 15-minute breaks. We don't get gigs every week...and there was a two month long hiatus from gigging, but that'll change soon.

7. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    That seems right to me. My band plays orginal stuff, and we have gone over two hours in a set. This was at a party, and we where the only live entertainment, so there was plenty of time to go that long.

8. all bands around here usually do one 45-60 minute set (usually 45), or if there are alot of bands playing, they'll do a 30 minute set.

9. Same here, although if a jam band is playing a party a pair of 75- or 90-minute sets with a 30-minute break in between is not out of the question.

10. I currently play with two jazz groups, one latino group, and one country/rockabilly group, plus freelancing. Most gigs here are four hours, ocassionally five, last night's jazz one was two. I once played a gig where the band played one song, the speeches started and lasted all night! Some sort of political conference. Also, I once did five gigs in one day: a champagne brekky, a lunch-time gig, evening 8-12, night club 12:30-3:30, late-night musos club 4-7. This was all with the same band, and the drummer went to sleep in the middle of a song at the last gig. LOL! I damn near did too!

11. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    We play from 9pm to 1am, with one short and one long, dinner break (we get food as part of the payment).

12. our music scene is small but like last night we had 4 bands play in 3 hours with 2omin breaks inbetween. we usuallytry to play about 2o-3o minutes if youre opening and about 45 if youre "headlining".

we only have one club here though.

13. Yeah, but you sure have a lot of aliens.....