Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How long do Thomastik flats last ?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by the low one, Aug 29, 2005.

1. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    I've just put a set of Thomastik flats on my Jazz fretless and they sound fantastic, well worth the £29 I paid for them in the UK.

My questions are:

1, How long can I expect them to last? I've read somewhere that flats just keep going forever.

2, If I bought a new set as a spare how long will they last unused?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    1. They lasted me about 2 months before I got sick of them.

2. Forever.

But hey... :hyper:

Seriously, I ended up not liking them, but they're a very well-made string. They should last you a good long time, like in years. A spare set isn't a bad idea, but it will probably sit in the bag for a while. In 2 months, I don't think the sound changed on me at all, and I'm pretty corrosive to strings.

3. I have one set I bought in 1998. Still using them.

4. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    Were you using them on fretless? I always use rounds on fretted and tried them on fretless also but they just eat the fretboard.

Do I get a 2nd set paying out £29? Maybe not, but has anyone ever broken a flatwound?

5. I have a set of TI Jazz Flats running strong since 2000.

I will be moving them to my J-fretless because the rounds are eating up the board.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups

7. AGCurry

AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    I've been using them for 4 years and I don't know yet how long they last.

8. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    Thanks all. I get the impression that they will last quite some time, and make a good investment.

9. So far, two years on a Fender AV62RI P - still going strong :)

10. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have one set that is 5 years old and still sounds great. I expect to get quite a few more years out of them. They sound better now than when they were first broken in.

11. Xanaptabil

Xanaptabil

Jul 18, 2005
    Tempe, AZ
    Just broke my E today in the final bars of a gig. Had the set (thomastiks) for nearly a year and played them hard. Well worth the investment; picking up another set tomorrow.
    Ian

12. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii

I haven't, but in 28 years of playing I've never broken a string of any kind.

13. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    The TI flats last too long to the point that I got sick of them and took them off.