How long do Thomastik flats last ?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by the low one, Aug 29, 2005.

1. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    I've just put a set of Thomastik flats on my Jazz fretless and they sound fantastic, well worth the £29 I paid for them in the UK.

My questions are:

1, How long can I expect them to last? I've read somewhere that flats just keep going forever.

2, If I bought a new set as a spare how long will they last unused?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    1. They lasted me about 2 months before I got sick of them.

2. Forever.

But hey... :hyper:

Seriously, I ended up not liking them, but they're a very well-made string. They should last you a good long time, like in years. A spare set isn't a bad idea, but it will probably sit in the bag for a while. In 2 months, I don't think the sound changed on me at all, and I'm pretty corrosive to strings.

3. I have one set I bought in 1998. Still using them.

4. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    Were you using them on fretless? I always use rounds on fretted and tried them on fretless also but they just eat the fretboard.

Do I get a 2nd set paying out £29? Maybe not, but has anyone ever broken a flatwound?

5. I have a set of TI Jazz Flats running strong since 2000.

I will be moving them to my J-fretless because the rounds are eating up the board.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups

7. AGCurry

AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    I've been using them for 4 years and I don't know yet how long they last.

8. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    Thanks all. I get the impression that they will last quite some time, and make a good investment.

9. So far, two years on a Fender AV62RI P - still going strong :)

10. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have one set that is 5 years old and still sounds great. I expect to get quite a few more years out of them. They sound better now than when they were first broken in.

11. Xanaptabil

Xanaptabil

Jul 18, 2005
    Tempe, AZ
    Just broke my E today in the final bars of a gig. Had the set (thomastiks) for nearly a year and played them hard. Well worth the investment; picking up another set tomorrow.
    Ian

12. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii

I haven't, but in 28 years of playing I've never broken a string of any kind.

13. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    The TI flats last too long to the point that I got sick of them and took them off.