Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How long do YOU clamp it down for?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Basschair, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Back to the gluing process on three projects, and I'm curious about something: how long do you leave your glued pieces clamped for? I'm using original Titebond, and leave it for at least 24 hours, but am curious as to whether or not it's just wasted time to leave it for a few days. Assume the humidity is around 30% or so (I know there's many factors, but lets leave it somewhat simple).

Thanks!

2. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    24 is plenty in my opinion......T

3. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Builder: Mailloux Basses
    I leave it clamped for at least 12 hours

4. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    +1, since I'm a coward :D
    And due to time constraints, I usually leave it for more than 24h.

5. I guess I like to live dangerously. Titebond cures quite quickly. 2 hours is quite enough if the joint is good. If I'm glueing a body blank or top I'll leave it for 2-3 hours. If I'm doing a neck to body joint, fingerboard or neck laminates I'll leave them overnight.

Of course it all depends on the humidity and temperature. Back in august I had a body blank slip during glue drying. After an hour I came back and noticed it had slipped, so I tried to undo the joint. It was almost impossible and I had to use quite a bit of water and steam to undo it. That's why I'm confortable with original titebond for 2-3 hours.

w.

6. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    I let it dry for 24 hours (or more depending on my work/school schedule) before removing it from the clamps. I also give it a day or two before working it further, but this is mostly due to scheduling free time away from my day job and school.

R

7. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    That sounds like me. I use regular white carpenter's glue (cabinet making quality, no less!) It says on the bottle that it'll hold after 30 minutes, although I always leave it AT LEAST 2 hours. Okay, maybe 90 minutes. But for some crucial parts (neck and fingerboard) I'll leave it for a day.

8. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    All it takes is one bad experience to never trust the instructions on Titebond ever again. I leave mine in clamps overnight.

9. I use a veneer glue as my general adhesive and I leave my glue-ups clamped for 24 hours before releasing and then I leave them unworked for several days to see what happens - I've heard stories of blanks flying apart from internal stress and whatnot.

10. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Thanks for the quick/concise comments guys! I've got a 2-piece walnut body gluing up which has been sitting for a few days in clamps, so I guess it's safe to move on. I've got to get more clamps so that I can do simultaneous glue jobs...this one-joint-per-day thing is killing me!

11. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    It's not pretty.

Basschair, you'll never have enough clamps. When you buy more you'll wonder what you did without them.

12. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

There's not a doubt in my mind about that :D

13. I use the Lepage yellow carpenter's glue. Never less than 6 hours. I tried three once, and it came apart in the planer.

I just get so darned excited!!! :hyper:

14. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    And then you'll probably realize that you need even more.