1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How long do you expect coated strings to last?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by DiabolusInMusic, Aug 10, 2012.

1. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

So I was perusing the site where I order my strings, and pondering ordering DR dragonskins. The 5 string set had a 3 star review because the poster felt he didn't get enough life out of them. He used them for three months :eyebrow:.

I would find that a great life for a coated string, I usually use my non coated strings for 4-6 weeks. It adds up changing a 6 string every 2-4 weeks, so I use mine past when I would prefer to change them.

So how long do you people expect out of a set, we'll say 10-20 hours a week of playtime.

Just to clarify we are talking roundwounds, I don't need to hear about how your flat wounds are older than me and still got tons of life, get better with age, blah blah blah. :D

2. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    The only coated strings Ive used for any period of time is the DR neons. They lasted about 25% to 30% longer then my longest used brand of noncoated roundwounds, rotosound swing66.

3. bass4u

bass4u Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2007
    maryland,usa
    I've been using the DR Neon's and Black Beauties lately. For me they seem to last about 30% longer than uncoated strings.

4. Jack Wren

Jack Wren

Nov 24, 2008
    Alabaster, AL
    I change my Elixir nano wound strings every New Year's Eve. Makes it easy to remember. I don't really notice a huge difference in sound. I usually play around 4 hours per week.

5. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned SUSPENDED

I had a set of Elixirs that came stock on my SR506 for 6 months and just wanted to try something different. I probably switched those on and off with others and got another 3 months of bright use out of them.

6. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    I can get 3 to 4 months out of Elixirs vs 4-6 weeks with regular nickle rounds.

7. Cleartones last a long while for me. I'm going on 2 years on this set, and they still sound fresh.

I can kill a set of Ernie Balls in a week just practicing at home and noodling around.

8. FleadomFighter

FleadomFighter

May 27, 2012
    I use Elixirs and they tend to last several months, with a similar amount of playtime as you're suggesting. If you play a with a pick I think that can lead to the coating peeling a little quicker than it might otherwise but I don't use one myself so I can't give you anything definitive there.

If you are gigging/recording though I would still go for a new set of non-coated if you want that zing to your tone. Even fresh on, the coated just don't quite have it, about the best I get is on something like this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1HsxuG7EOs) and I think you'll agree its not the same as a new set of uncoated.

For practice/general use though coated strings are significantly cheaper in the long run.

9. TraceOnBass

TraceOnBass

Sep 6, 2011
    Upstate, NY
    I used the black beauties for a month and during a sound check on stage I popped the 4th string. I don't play that aggressive so my faith in these on the fence. The sound awesome and feel great, but I can't afford to blow out a string on a gig.

I've got them on another bass and will see how they hold up. So far the coating has burned off in 2 weeks time on both basses. :-(

10. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    I play quite a bit, probably around 25 hours a week. But I have four basses right now, with my main bass right now strung with Ernie Balls. It gets 90% of my playing time.

In the not so distant past I used Elixirs on my main bass at the time, and I changed them once a year, and really did not notice a huge difference in sound when I did. Elixirs kind of sound "broke in" to start with, which I liked.

the black beauties I tried only lasted about a month

I have a set of TI Jazz Flats on my G&L L2500 fretless that have been on it for probably six or eight years.

I have some coated Ernie Balls i will be trying on my Sterling 5 next - probably in January 2013. :)