1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How long do you give someone to pay a PayPal invoice?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by two fingers, Apr 23, 2016.

Tags:
  1. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Just curious.

I have sent an invoice to a buyer at his request. I haven't heard anything.

I keep checking both my email and here for any contact. I'm not going to say how long ago I sent it because I don't want to cloud your answers.

Please discuss.

2. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

if there are no terms set, 72 hours or three business days. after that, i would inquire; perhaps some tragedy has befallen.

3. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Thank you.

And if no answer after three days you move on?

4. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

after an inquiry as to whether everything was all right, i would send a message stating that the deal would be deemed rescinded if there was no payment in 24 hours (or one business day). that's just me, it's arbitrary.

dave64o and charlie monroe like this.
  5. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Hey thanks for taking the time.

6. Fiset

Fiset I do a good impression of myself

Jan 13, 2007
    New York
    I would send a message to the buyer the next day. Nothing harsh. I think its pretty easy to quickly conclude paypal transactions so if there is a day delay, I'm gonna politely ask about it.

7. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    If it is something like a pedal, like two hundred tops, where you can expect the normal buyer to have it on his account no problem, just one or two days.
    If it is something more valuable where you could expect that the buyer needs to transfer money from another account, or carry cash to the bank in order to send enough via paypal,
    a few days more - like three or four working days.

8. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I'm good with 72 hours and then a 24 hr grace period as @yodedude2 suggested.

Odd question I think. If they asked for the bill, you'd think they were in a position to settle it.

I generally pay for stuff within an hour of agreeing to terms. Sometimes within the next 2 minutes.

9. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Thank you for the input. It worked out. It was paid.

jfh2112, yodedude2 and charlie monroe like this.
  10. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I'd give it 3 days, and then I'd send a message saying if I don't hear back in 24 hours I'll assume they've changed their mind. And then I'd move forward.

I'd also have no issue (or guilt) with that whatsoever. If someone doesn't get back to someone in that amount of time they have no business doing business on the internet. Internet etiquette says you respond promptly. Even if your house burns down and lose all your possessions, you borrow your friends phone for second and tell the person you're dealing with what's up. And if that's the case you shouldn't be buying unnecessary things anyhow.

Buszkock, hintz and two fingers like this.
  11. Aberdumbie

Aberdumbie

Jan 22, 2016
    South Carolina
    I'm not much of an Internet buyer. I will say that each to I transacted business via the web. The transaction was complete, monies transferred and usually am in possession of my purchased item in 2-3 days. I agree with Joe. Rapid transactions are expected when transacting business via the web. I would expect that to hold triue for seller as well as purchaser.

12. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    i'm glad this was brought up ... not the payment part , but basic neglect on both sides of 'the sale' ...

if you place an ad ... please pay attention to it

if you say ' i'll take that ' ... pay attention to responses and be ready to pay asap ...

i'm not gonna wait for days to hear back from anyone , ... after about 12 hrs , i'm moving on to the next buyer .. !!

thanks ... i feel much better now

Jah Wobble Fan likes this.
  13. steelbed45

steelbed45 TRemington Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Nolanville, TX
    This - over the past year or so, I'm finding it takes 2-3 purchase offers from TB members to actually get one payment.

My "normal" now -

Hi, I'll take it! I just need your paypal.

/nothing

If I'm buying something and make an offer, it is with the intention that I am ready to pay immediately. Obviously, there are TB members who don't follow this train of thought.

While I'd like to give fellow TB'ers the benefit of the doubt, and not look like a db by setting payment terms, it's something to consider moving forward - possibly just roll it into the for sale thread itself.

14. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I've got a guy who is the exclusive distributor of the r/c racing items i make. Whenever he orders, he also asks for a paypal invoice. As soon as i get the email for his order i send him a paypal invoice which he usually pays within 24 hours. I've known him for a number of years so i don't get concerned if it's a day or so before his payment hits, but if i haven't seen it in 3 days i'll drop him a line just to make sure he got it.

If i send an invoice to someone i don't know, 3 business days without payment gets them a reminder. 24 hours after the reminder is sent if i've not heard from them i assume they are no longer interested.

15. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    I'd message the buyer next day making sure he received the invoice and asking precisely when you should expect payment.

16. rmayer

rmayer Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Boynton Beach, FL
    The 72 hours seems like more than enough time to me. As far as equating price of the item to the payment time, that wouldn't make any difference to me. I've never bought a bass, amp or a volume knob that I didn't have the funds available to pay for said item. And I usually do immediately after purchasing it. This is the online age, it's not like I have to get the cash out of my mattress and deliver it to the person.
    By the way, I had a buyer hang me up for a week and a half on a buy it now purchase. Kept saying he'd have the money in a day or two. Finally came through.
    My feelings, if you don't have the funds ready, don't bid or buy. Simple.

17. 6tzguy

6tzguy 6tzguy Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Orange County, Ca.
    Hi all, I need some advice. I've just had someone PM me this am asking to contact him about buying my VERY expensive '60's vintage bass. I just got home and saw the message and would like to call him, (he gave his phone number) but he just joined TB yesterday, so he has no history. ALSO, I've only dealt with one very experienced TBer and had a great experience, but he lead me through the process. I can't remember even how hw made paymeny. MY BIG QUESTION is what's the safest form of payment? I obviously don't want to ship this one of a kind bass to this guy ansget a fake money order or something. HELP!

18. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    This isn't all that unusual.

Many times have i seen someone join TB because their web search led them here for a specific item.

Call them. Answer their questions. Ask some of your own. Maybe they are local and can offer cash.

PayPal is reasonably safe, but nothing is bullet proof.

19. greenduke

greenduke

Jan 21, 2014
    Dallas, TX
    I've never "sold" but have "purchased" several basses here on TB.
    First, seller must have a verifiable positive "significant past and recent history."
    Second, I contact, check references from other TBers here on TB as well.
    Third, I always negotiate the final purchase price and shipping date/tracking number based on making "Immediate Payment" through PayPal.
    "Communication" is the key. Both parties get the best satisfied deal from start to finish.
    I wouldn't handle it another way whether selling or buying. The seller should have the item in hand, ready to ship and the buyer the funds in hand ready to purchase it.
    I've never had any difficulties following such terms.

20. Rayjay

Rayjay

Sep 27, 2014
    Lahaina, Maui, HI
    I try to give sellers an ETA when I'll send. I don't finalize a deal until I know when I'm sending money.

And, I'd expect that if I told someone I'm sending PP and 72 hours goes by (in my case 72 hours after ETA to send PP), that the seller would understand that either I flaked out, or some kind of disaster happened that prevented me from keeping in contact, and in either case probably moved on to someone else throwing money at them.