Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How Long Do You Let Your Multi-Lam Necks Set Once Glued Up?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I was just curious about how long each of you let your necks set once the laminates are glued together. Is there a certain period while clamped and another unclamped that you go by?

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Overnight in clamps and a week or more to settle for me.

3. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    What do you mean? The time between clamping up and starting to shape the blank?
    If so, it seems common procedure to have it clamped for one to three days, to be sure the glue is properly cured. If you use any 2-component glue, 2 hours could actually be enough! But I admit, I'd play it safe, and leave it clamped for a day minimum.

Most people tend to leave the blank for a week or so until they start to work on it. Ususally, the reason is something like "letting the moisture out of the blank". The moisture of the glue, that is. If you do use a very wet glue, like hide glue or PVa, this can be an issue. They seem to cure by dehydration, at least to some extent. If you use a 2-comp, you can start working at once after unclamping. They consume their moisture in the curing process.