Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how long do your strings usually last?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bill Brasky, Nov 15, 2000.

1. How long does it take you before a new set of strings loses that new sound? I put on new strings about 3 weeks ago and they're already starting to sound pretty dead. I'd say I play on an average about 8-10 hours a week now, maybe a little more or less. I was just curious how long people go between changing strings.

What do you do to make them last longer? I wipe my strings off with a cloth after I finish playing to get rid of dirt and oils or whatever may be left on them after playing.

I guess the main thing that makes them lose their sound fast is playing aggressively on them, like hitting them hard or slapping and popping a lot, which I do sometimes. I heard that stuff like that tears the wraps away from the core and would contribute a lot to killing the sound of the string.

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

This has come up a few time in previous threads, so if you want more opinions I would look though a few.

I tend to agree with your last paragraph - I play with as light a touch as possible and find that my strings do last a long time, even though I don't do anything to make them last longer.

I have found that Stainless Steel strings go off more quickly than Nickel. I was usually changing Steel strings every month; but since discovering Nickel, I find that after 6 months to a year, they are still sounding good. I only change them, because I think I ought to be cleaning the bass thoroughly every 6 months or so and as I'm taking them off I might as well change them, but I've given sets of my "used" strings away to people who are very happy with these 6-month-old sets.