Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How long does it take most people to get used to a new bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by |3/\$$|$T, Aug 3, 2001.

1. 1-3 days

6 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. 3-7 days

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. 1-2 weeks

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. 2-4 weeks

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. I Just bought a new Fender American series Jazz bass and I was just wondering how long it takes most people to get used to a new bass?

2. Cool I too just bought a new MIA jazz and it took aboout 5-7 days of none stop playing to get used to. My old bass was a ibanez Sr400 man what a difference. Aren't these basses awsome. Good luck

3. I think it depends on how long you have been playing your previous bass. I got a new one after only have one for about 3 months. it only took me about a day to get used to it

4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I have a Fender American P-Deluxe and it took me about a month to get used to it. I'm a bit of a perfectionist when I drop a grand or more on a bass and there was a lot of tweaking I had to do. I was pretty upset about the craftsmanship at first - the ferrets in the back that the strings go through fell out, as did the straplocks - and the machine heads had and still have a lot of play in them. There were a lot of buzzes and it took me a while to get the neck and action where I like it. It also sounded way different than my Music Man and Warwick. I seriously considered returning it.

Upside to all this is that it's the bass I use most now. It's the most versatile, the lightest, and I've gotten the most comfortable with it - I guess cuz I use it the most.

5. My jazz does and will always fell better then my P, even though I play the P more. I can just pick up the J and it bassically plays for me, while I really have to pay attention with the P, its like driving someone elses car.

6. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    it depends on how different the new bass is compared to the usual bass you play. for me it takes a coupl of weeks to feel really good or not with a new bass. and i love to have different playing bass. i have a rick, a jazz and a thunderbird and they are really different from each other!

7. I had been playing for about a year when i went from 4 to 5 string. Took me about 2 weeks to get used to it. But then again i am still "getting used to it" by means of always learning something new, finding a new tone setting that sounds cool.

Thats the beauty of basses, always something new to learn.

..And i have been playing for 4 years now..

;)

Merls

8. As has been said, with me it varies.
    But then again, I seem to be a fast basic learner.
    According to my mom, I learned piano really quickly in my first 2 years of playing. Strangely enough, I was interested in piano during my first 2 years, then I lost interest after that.
    Then with computers, I couldn't type to save my life, after a week or so of computer use when I finally got my own computer, I learned how to type with proper fingering, and not too sow at that, either! :D
    Then with bass, it didn't take me all that long to get used to my first bass - Fender '62 jazz reissue. :D After that I bought an Ibanez acousitc/electric, and that took about a day of play for me to get used to, and be able to switch between the Fender & the acoustic without having to mentally readjust to one or the other. Then my third bass was an Ibanez SR405, and that took about 3 or 4 days to adjust to, because of the slim neck and the extra B string. :D
    And now, with driving...Ehehehehe...:D:p

9. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Normally it would take me just a few days to get used to a new bass, but when I went from 4 to 5 strings, it took the better part of a month. Now that I've just acquired a 6 string, I'm hoping the largest part of the adjustment only takes a couple weeks of dedicated work.

Although I'm "used to" 5 string, I'm still always learning new adjustments and techniques. I expect that to be the same with the 6. I define "used to" as "willing to play it publicly, with no excuses".

Peace,

James

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    For me, basses are like shoes. Sumbeeches better be comfortable the instant I try 'em on. BTW, I just got a new pair of Ariat boots today ... grizzly skin or something (PETA peeps shut up). Yep, they feel mighty fine.

11. Thankyou for responding to my question, It's been 2 days since I have had this bass now and im starting to get used to it already thats because i went from a fender to a fender.