Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How Long does it take?!!!

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by rickr, Mar 6, 2005.

1. rickr

rickr Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA
    Hello Guys,
    I have been an electric bassist for many years now. I have come to a point in my life where I would really like to put some time into studying DB. I am fortunate to have an incredible teacher here where I live. He has been giving me theory lessons and I have not even approached him yet about learnin DB. As of now I have not even touched a DB.
    I was wondering, generally speaking, how long it would take for me to be fairly compitent on DB with say 1 lesson per week and 8-10 hours of practice per week?
    I realize this is a subjective question, I am just trying to get an Idea of what I might be undertaking.
    Thanks
    Ricky

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    If you're gigging and making sessions with it as well, I would say that you could be feeling pretty comfortable with it in about a year. Physically anyhow. To fully blossom? Dunno -- been at it for about 25 years now myself -- I'll let you know how it goes when I get there.

3. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast

4. EFischer1

EFischer1 Guest

Mar 17, 2002
    New York, New York
    Pablo Casals still practiced two hours per day when he was 80 years old.

I would say a lifetime is a fairly good timetable.

You can't rush art, right?