Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How long does the average bass hang in a store?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Michael Jewels, May 13, 2003.

1. Does anyone here know? Do you have any stories of certain basses that are always in your local store whenever you go there?

The reason I ask is that for the last year or so I see the same few Stingrays/Sterlings in my local Sam Ash. I know two of them are the same because one 'Ray has a certain ding on the back of the body and one Sterling (copperburst?) has been there for almost a year. I've noticed this just with the Musicman instruments.

What's the average store lifespan of a bass to the best of your knowledge?

Mike

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I worked at a Sam Ash in brooklyn about 3 years ago. Their are still 2 basses their that are hanging on the wall from when I worked their. A used Fender Jazz Plus 5 in silverburst (BLA!!!!) that I refused to buy but somehow got bought under my nose (I was the dept manager) & an American Series Jazz 5 that has a REALLY nice hit from falling off the wall.

3. I order my instruments.
    In the box.
    Fresh for the factory.
    Without any dogs touching it to ruin the
    instrument or the vibe.

4. aladdin

aladdin

Mar 7, 2003
    Chiba, Japan
    If you like the one on the wall, the shop should be prepared to discount it for you. I have been offered several sweet deals on "the ones off the wall."
    I am notorious for nitpicking each bass' finish and any scarring or tarnishing of hardware.

However, I eventually ordered my bass from California. Shipped all the way to Japan. I was there when they opened the box.

-Aladdin

5. I'm not sure what the typical life span is but if a store is trying to get a ridiculous price, it will hang for a long time-

I was in the market for a G&L 2500 a few years ago. I got some prices over the net and found that Bass NW had some real good deals for about $900. The only drawback was that they didn't have any colors that really grabbed me. I went to the local used car dealership... uh, I mean music store, and I found one with the color I was looking for. I told the salesman that I was checking the internet to get an idea what these basses typically go for and he still gave me a price of $1600. I walked.

I gave him my card earlier in the conversation and after that he would call me every couple of months to let me know that they were running a deal on this bass and would lower the price with each phone message. That bass ended up being at that store for over two years. I'm not sure how long it had been there before I came along.

6. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    I think the higher end basses (i.e. - non Fender or Ibanez...for example MM, Pedulla, etc..) you see in places like GC and Sam Ash usually hang for a LONG time. Most of the buyers going into those places are not looking to spend $1000+ on an instrument, and those that are looking for a high end instrument are usually buying from smaller shops or over the net (from what I have seen). The GC in Plano has a Pedulla Thunderbass 5 and a Pedulla Buzz that have been there as long as the store has been open I think (about 3 or 4 years)...

What's weird is the guys usually won't make you a good deal, even on the ones that have been there since the beginning of time....

7. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I used to manage a GC in New Orleans. Most music companies shoot for a turn of three, which means that the average piece of gear is only there for 3 months. Most stores can't reach that average, obviously. High end instruments usually last 6 months to a year, and if they are not your run of the mill color, shape, model, etc., they last ALOT longer. This is why most of the big stores don't carry anything interesting; they have to sell the product to stay in business, not house a collection of really cool stuff. Smaller specialty shops usually move the high end and more interesting stuff faster, but even if they don't, they usually take care of the gear better.

I would say that basses $999 and lower usually last less than 6 months, $999- $1999 at least a year, and anything over that could be a lifer.

8. It could depend on price. I saw some expensive alembics that have been in a store for 5 years.
    On the other hand, I saw some wierd Ibanez stuff hanging in a store also for more than a few years. They discounted the price, but there was simply no effect.
    I would say the average period is 1-2 years.

9. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    My MIA dlx jazz came from the same store Nino worked at, I was told it was on the wall for 2 years. I think prices for some basses have a lot to do with how long it sits. The manager and myself are real cool so I got the dlx for a real good price.:cool:

10. MatW

MatW

May 10, 2000
    UK, Swindon
    It depends on price really. Most of the music shops where I am only stock cheap beginner basses, because they know that's what sells.

Trying a bass in a shop and then buying a brand new untouched one from the factory is all well and good. However, if the one in the shop plays like a dream then I'd suggest buying the one in the shop (as long as the price is right). Quality can vary from bass to bass so why risk passing up a great bass for what could potentially be a dud?

11. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I´ve noticed the same thing here in Iceland. There are some basses that I´ve seen on the wall for a couple of years now. They just won´t move.

When I bought my MIA Fender jazz V, I had them order it especially for me. I was in the shop when the shipment came and I was the first one to open up the box :D No greasy fingers of smelly 13 year olds (no offense all of you thirteen year olds out there) ever touched my bass :) Wohoo!

12. MatW

MatW

May 10, 2000
    UK, Swindon
    You think that's bad. Once I took a bass into a shop for some minor repairs. When I came to pick it up some days later I noticed some kid had helped himself to my bass and was slapping the hell out of it. I though: 'yeah, help yourself you cheeky git!' Needless to say I don't use that shop anymore.

13. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    Help a stupid American....

Define "cheeky git"

:D

14. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I walked into a mom and pop music store one day about 20 years ago and found two shiny, "brand new" 15 year old axes on display (a Gibson EB-2 bass and a Fender Coronado 12 string guitar) :eek:

15. The Reverend, the Ken Smith, the Warwicks and the Hohner in Rín for example. Has the Zon cleared yet?

16. MatW

MatW

May 10, 2000
    UK, Swindon
    :p No prob.

Cheeky: Impudent, I couldn't believe he helped himself to someone else's bass.

Git: A mild abusive term, I guess in America you could use S.O.B. or MF, but you can get away with calling most people a git in polite company, as long as they know you're joking. I would suggest calling anyone a MF at a dinner party!

I should point out that as a typical Englishman I didn't complain. I bit my lower lip, thanked them for doing the work and went home for a nice cup of tea... then I thought about how angry it made me feel for the rest of the weekend. :D

17. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize

That is the coolest. I know ALOT of cheeky gits!

18. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    yea id have to say that you should get a deal on the things that come off the wall. be it small or big, but i have been to GC and played basses and amps that are all kinds of messed up. knobs, switches...etc. id rather go through the factory.

19. I guess both ways of buying, in store with cash in hand and the ability to haggle, or buying online both have their advantages.

I would rather buy what I can see in front of me. This way you know if the bass is messed up in any way.

But...

If you buy online, you can't haggle, but, you do get a factory fresh bass and no tax! (I've heard rumours this may change soon)

The online option doesn't give you the opportunity to check stuff out, but, then again with most reputable places you can return something if you don't like it or if it's been damaged. I bought my Jack Casady bass online without ever playing one. I can only assume I got "a good one." ;)

Mike

I feel guilty when I check something out in a store, but, then order it online. :(

20. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize

Why feel guilty? As a consumer you have the right to the best deal, IMO.