Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How long does the battery last on a active bass on avg.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by raycer, May 23, 2004.

1. raycer

raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    The reason I ask is because my Viper seems to use up the battery in a 3 weeks to month or so. Is that about right?

I avg about 1 hr playing time a day with it.

Sorry if this is on the wrong board, as I wasn't sure where to post it.

Thanks

2. Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Dec 30, 2001
    Boston MA
    Mine last about 2 months, I use an Ibanez SRX 400 and I just noticed today that it was beginning to sound distorted.

3. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I think it depends on the brand of active pickups, but that sounds about right IME. All my active basses now have EMG's. I change the batteries more often than EMG states is necessary. About every 4 to 6 months on my Q-4, every 7 to 9 months on everything else.

4. raycer

raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    My Viper has ESP pick ups, so I guess they probably aren't as efficient as EMG and such. I guess I could email them about too

Thanks for the quick replys :)

5. alembicfive

alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    USA
    When I was doing shows 6 days a week, I would easly get 6 months on one battery for the pre-amp in the Alembic. Now the LEDs in the neck......Four 9 Volts batteries, once a month!

6. I just changed the battery in my Stingray for the first time today. It's been over a year...

7. BassDemon

BassDemon

May 18, 2004
    EMG says around 1000 hours which is 40 hours per week for 25 weeks

Mine last at least 10 months, I'm using an 18v system in both basses

8. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    100 Hours seems average in my experience.

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Seems like a year or so. Usually it happens in the middle of a set.

10. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Yeah my Ray seems pretty good on the batteries. I change em every 6 months or so just to avoid the Munji-style farting in the middle of a set, but I swear they're still fresh. Someimes my tongue can't even tell the difference between the new one and the old one. So instead of throwing em out, I put them in my tuners and pedals as a backup to my power supply.

The Ibanez needed a change every 5 or 6 months. The Alembic powered Jazz copy is 6 months old and still has the original battery in it.

For some reason, I get best results from Energizers.

11. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    +1

I've only had problems with Duracell.

12. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    That's good news! My Q-4 also has the 18 volt BQS circuit :) .

As far as battery brands go, it's Energizers or Duracells. I've heard of people having problems with Duracells, but I've never experienced any.

13. Do you unplug it between use?

14. WildBill

WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    Massachusettes
    I just changed mine for the first time. The sales guy at the store I bought it at said the bass had been there for about 3 months, so Im guess mine last about 5-6 months.

15. raycer

raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY

Most of the time.

The last Battery I put in it was one of the Peavey ones. I'm thinking it might not be a great battery, so I'm going to get an Energizer this time around and see.

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If you leave it plugged in, it will run the battery down quickly. That's what turns the pre-amp on. Unplug it every time.

17. Dublin-Bass

Dublin-Bass Guest

Sep 24, 2003
    Dublin, Ireland
    Another bassist I know has a 62 Fender P-bass in which he replaced the pickup with an EMG split pickup.It sounds great and I find it dosen't detract from the original sound of the bass. The only drawback is that since the bass does not have a back cover with which to get at the battery,the scratchplate needs to be removed which must be annoyingly time-consuming.

18. raycer

raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    Thanks for the tip. I do usually leave it unplugged, but sometimes I forget :)

19. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    i've had my conklin gt-7 since early march, and i haven't had to change the battery yet.

20. Nikolai

Nikolai

Apr 20, 2004
    I changed batteries like... 3 days before a gig, then i had to change it again at the gig, its insane.. wondering if the battery was a "dud" from the factory or something. it was in my Warwick Dolphin Sn5.
    Though, that battery has lasted without problems for a while now.