Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How long had you been playing before you could....?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by metallicarules, Aug 8, 2002.

1. I did a search but couldn't find the answer I was looking for.
    I've been playing for 2 years now and I suppose I've been progressing alright to the point now where I'd say I'm an intermediate bassist. I don't have problems with any of the stuff my band plays but lately I've been feeling in a bit of a rut so I've been trying to learn some more difficult songs like some Rush tunes, and maybe some Jaco, Yyz currently. This has proven to be quite frustrating as I think I am in a bit over my head and now I'm starting to wonder how well I really am progressing, so I thought I'd ask, for those of you who can play these more advanced songs, how long had you been playing before you could?

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

This is exactly why you need a teacher - to give objective assessments and to help you get beyond these barriers.

3. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Im in the same boat as metallicarules. I cant afford a teacher though.

your sort of in between levels, in between intermediate, and whatever comes next. Id like to see what other people say aswell. :D

4. I have found, over the years, that what frustrated me the most was that I couldnt nail an entire song down perfectly, and would enter that "I suck" mentality. So for a song like YYZ (or anything else for that matter) break it down into sections. Master the parts and soon they will equal the whole. Buy a tab book of Rush if it will help you. Play the parts slowly at first and get the fingering down, then eventually speed them up. BTW, i suggest an official tab book rather than internet tabs, as I have found many of them to be either wrong, incomplete, or both.

I still use this method even today when writing new material. Sometimes it helps me to find out the little extras that can fit in a riff, or a different way to play a riff. I still don't read a lot of music, so I write tabs for myself when I'm writing. Helps too when i pass them on to the guitar players.

Anyhow, it may take longer, but theres nothing better than practice, and lots of it. You'll get there .......

Greg

5. Thanks for the input so far, I've put Yyz aside for a while and I just finished learning the intro to "The Trees" by Rush, it's not too simple but I can still play it well, so my confidence is returning :cool: .

Could anybody here play Yyz after 2 years of playing?

6. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I could "play" YYZ after 2 years of playing bass... but I played guitar for 5 years before making the switch to bass. I didn't own it's ass and be able to burn it to the ground for a long time. I really didn't work on it as a constant project or anything, so I really don't know at what point I could really burn it to the ground. I revisited it about a year ago because one of the bands I was playing in wanted to play it. So I went back, relearned it, and found out that I could play the hell out of it. Whatever.

I've been playing for 10 years now.. so, uhh.. maybe in 10 years. :D

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've been playing for 10 years. I feel that I am a great bassist. I can do alot of things that other people can't & vice-a-versa.

No mattrer how hard I try, I can't get YYZ down. I've been trying to play it (on & off) for about 6-7 years & I get VERY fustrated. I dosen't make me think I'm not as good a player as I am, just not as good as God..... er, I mean Geddy. A few months ago I sat down to try to get it down again & I couldn't get it down. I could fake it. But I know I wasen't playing it right. :)

8. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    yes i can play yyz (completely now thank god)
    Ive been playing a little under a year (8 months)
    a teacher deffinitly helps.. but if you cant find one.. I know a couple songs that could help you as far as getting more techincal with your playing that would work as groundbreakers.
    Moby Dick by Led Zeppelin
    The ocean by Zepp
    fiddle with anything you wanna fiddle with..
    Ive made it to this... Theonly thing that intimadates me is a couple songs.. Classical thump(Im not sure if ill ever be able to play it) and alot of jaco and victor stuff..
    as a few guys have said... break it down into sections.. learn the main riff just remember
    your playing in paterns
    Right after you hit the first run(the A run) then goto the C run.. its the same exact pattern.. just different notes..
    You will get it if you try. Dont limit yourself.. do anything you wanna do.. cause if you think you can.. then well you can..I hope i made sence..
    Good luck with the bassin..
    oh yes.. i still have the speed problem but i can play it all the way through now with my teachers help.. im working on it

9. Ok, so one guys is playing it after 8 months and another guy can't play it after 6-7 years...:confused:. Sometimes I play Yyz by myself and it sounds ok, then I try and play along with the song and I can't keep up. So forget the fast stuff for a while, I'm playing some Sir Psycho Sexy by RHCP, slow and easy but funky as hell :cool:.

10. Doesn't really matter. I know guys that can play YYZ pretty well but still can't get the groove to Sunshine of you Love.

11. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    one bass lesson will probably make you a much better bass player than figuring out a few tunes. I thing gruffy nailed it. If i were you, i'd work on making music, not remaking music.

12. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    hey man.. well same problem here =X
    you got it.. dont worry about speed.. see
    speed takes time.. i still cant play it completly as fast.. but i have that problem with alot of songs..
    if its a slow beat though :cool:
    yes indeed man.. a teacher does help though more than anything..
    I was in the kitchen gettinga poptart and stuff and i thought how lost i would be man.. so.. if you can get a teacher.. jump on it..
    good luck
    Nick

13. Actually right now I'm in a phase of learning songs in different genres hoping to get some new ideas for writing my own basslines.

14. bplayerofdoom

bplayerofdoom

Aug 6, 2002
    R.S.M.
    I don't know about anyone else but I didn't get good gradualy. I kindy of went lousy for months. Then overnight I became real good. Still not Pro but I always wondered where all those other stages went. Can't wait till I sell the other half of my soul and mysteriously become real good. About that lessons = better than lots of songs comment. Theres some truth to that but you'll never get anywhere unless you know songs too. (Well I guess it might be possible but 99.9% of the population probably could not handle becoming pro just off exercises).

15. mans0n

mans0n

Jun 15, 2002
    mmmm
    i just would recomend thinking in a different way... the song is difficult for you sure, they were easy for the originator to create... just think of the things you create from your own mind/talent, and how they would prolly be difficult for others to play.... at least thats what i do, it helps with my confidence.. also comparing yourself to others never helps, YOUR YOU... try to learn the song, dont compare how well you play the song compared to them, who wants 50 versions of the EXACT same song anyways? put YOUR style into it ;-)

16. Y'know, you should try to keep in mind that learning a bassline note for note isn't as important as retaining the "feel" and "emotion" in a song. I know lots of bass players (and musicians in general) that are gifted players. It seems they can pretty much recite anything they hear or can teach themselves any song they set out to do. However, they can't seem to make the song "groove". What's the point of learning a RHCP's song if you can't shake anyone's butt with it?

I'm not trying to take anyone's accomplishments away from them by making these statements. I'm just trying to remind folks as to what they're roles are as musicians, whether it be holding down the bottom end of a band, or as a soloist. If you're not entertaining a crowd, you may as well not be playing music.

Personally, when I first started learning the bass years ago, I thought I was damn good after about a year. I was slappin' & poppin' my @ss off during every song we played. My friends and bandmates were amazed at how quickly I got "good" at bass. It's funny. I actually think I'm a better bassist now that I don't do ANY slap at all. I'm not any faster and I'm by no means a virtuoso, but I'm LISTENING to what I'm playing now and how it fits with the other musicians I'm playing with. I do less showy stuff on stage then I did before, and I think I'm a much better bassist. I was so impressed with myself that I kinda lost sight of what I loved most about playing (any instrument). I love playing MUSIC. I love it when other people can feel what myself and my bandmates feel.

Watching better, more experienced bassplayers taught me this.

Oh, and I definitely advocate taking lessons...

...even if you think you don't need them. There's always something SOMEBODY can teach you.

17. Tyler Dupont

Tyler Dupont Wesly Headpush

I can relate to the last post ... I started using a pick, after a few years I could play almost anything. Then I got in a band with a drummer that liked the sound of fingers... he threw away my picks.. I was not impressed ... then i started to learn to play finger style... then along came slap.... primus this primus that, I could slap my a$$ off, impress my friends...Then I started to explore different genres...funk & soul made me realize... I wasn't very good.... now I spend most of my time trying not to use all I have learned ; trying to add feel and texture rather than alot of notes and flashy stuff.

18. Sprinkler

Sprinkler [account disabled]

Jul 31, 2002
    get a metronome, that way you'll progess. you have to be able to keep rhytm . the drummer will appreciate that! Learn 16th notes(at 60bpm to start) with the accent on the second(ti TA ta ta) and third beat(ti ta TA ta). Try playing without looking at the fretboard.
    Does your pinky have enough strength to play a riff without the aid of other fingers?

Also, don't play tabs.

If you reeeeally want to play music, play piano sheet music. And don't learn that by heart, but read it while playing it.

19. i've been playing for a year and i've never relaly tried

20. AFter about a year I could play almost every RUSH tune, with an exception of the ones i had yet to hear. right now im doing Dream Theater, which isnt very hard, and making my own stuff, which seems the most challenging.