How long had you been playing before your first gig?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by El_Bunto, Sep 9, 2002.

1. as it says above how long had you been playing before your first gig?
  2. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    On bass guitar - about 6 months

On upright bass - about 3 weeks
  3. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I was in a band for three years before we played our first gig. That's right, that's what I said -- three years! We played a total of four gigs in four years and after our fourth gig, I quit.

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I Started at 16. Joined my first band and played a gig three/four years later.
  5. CS

Dec 11, 1999
  6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    2 or 4 weeks, don't remember exactly.

A school band gig in front of screaming French exchange students - cooool! :cool:
  7. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    A little over one year.
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If you consider playing in front of an audience a gig, the first time I ever played was at a gig. I was a drummer in my dad's church, and my best friend was the bass player. We decided it might be fun to switch out. He showed me where C, F and G were, and the next night I played at church. Before that, I had spent maybe 10 minutes holding a bass.
  9. I switched to bass from guitar when I was in my early teens, and was gigging at private functions for small $$ at the time - so I was gigging BEFORE playing bass.

Club gigs started for me at 16 yrs old - almost 18 months after switching to bass.
  10. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    Just a few weeks and we played a little talent show. I didn't even know the notes. the lead guitarist showed me a line and i memorized it.. i baisically knew nothing.
  11. fadlan bassman

fadlan bassman

Oct 23, 2001
    2 months after playing bass i got together with some guys for a cover song gig, 1 practice was all we had.
  12. 2 years, nearly to the day.
  13. First in front of people - about 3 months.

First paying gig - about 1 year.

Last paying gig - 21 years ago. :)
  14. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    almost 4 years and not a gig yet :D

It's hard to find a band that doesn't play punk round here
  15. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    LOL... you kick a$$ Embellisher!

I think it was about 4 months for me. We started jamming near the end of winter and was playing spring school parties later that year.
  16. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    About 3 1/2 years before a gig came about.
  17. You play music with your basses? In front of people?...What will they think of next?

P.S. That means I haven't played a gig. Alaska doesn't really have a music scene...or music shops...or music halls...or clubs of any sort...or musicians...or the necessary oxygen to support intelligent life. Thus, I do not play gigs, or know basic math.
  18. 21 months since I started without a gig.
  19. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Man, I thought I had it bad here in Wisconsin! I mean, at least we have the oxygen to support intelligent life. Er, wait.....