How long have u been a bassist?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by devil259, Dec 25, 2004.

1. devil259

Feb 13, 2004
    i dunno whether this thread had been cover b4...anyway...i had play bass 2yrs...pretty young.. :)
  2. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    3 years, and im 19.
  3. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    1year and i'm 14. :mad:
  4. 4 years on bass alone, and i've been playing bari sax along with it. i also played 4 years on clarinet before my transition to sax and bass
  5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    it'll be 25 years in April
    I'll be 37 years old in March
    (also played sax for 4 years before I started bass)

got my first bass from my Grandfather a couple weeks after my 12th birthday. He'd collected it from a trash can and was still fixing it. He gave me a shortscale Harmony bass and a starter amp. The amp was an early 70s Ampeg all tube Fliptop combo.
  6. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    7 years. I started when I was 31, after putting it off for 12. What a moron. Fact is, if I hadn't heard "High Times" by Jamiroquai, I probably wouldn't be playing now. Now I do it for a living.
  7. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Since December 1971.
  8. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Chuck, Don't ever give it up for no reason! try not to get in any ruts that allow you to become dis-enchanted with your music. I learned the most about bassplaying in the first couple of years of playing (the most enjoyable time of my life). When I got back into it later on in life (with a clearer head) it was still as much fun if not more but the learning of all the new styles and tricks ala double thump, super triplets and on and on doesn't move me where as in the 70's I would have been one of the best at it! (hey wait that thumpin and poppin caught on? I can do the hell out of that!) I just want to play now and be a good bassist, monster chops is not important to me anymore.
  9. haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
  10. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Since 2001 it think and I'm 17 now.I can see me doing it for years to come!
  11. Played bass for only 3 years, but I've played keyboards for 10 years.
  12. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
  13. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Been playing bass for 4 or 5 years...

Still working in the "bassist" part.
  14. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I have been playing since 1997.
  15. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    The 1st time from age 14-22. I started again this go around in '95
  16. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Twenty-nine years today. My Mom gave me my first bass Christmas Day, 1975. I know I posted this before, but the first song I learned was "Love to Love You Baby' by Donna Summers. Whenever I listen to clips of you guys, I'm ashamed to admit how long I have played, but I do it because I love it, not because I any good. ;) :bassist: :)