How long have you been playing bass?

Discussion in 'Barker Bass Forum' started by IotaNet, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Less than a year

2. 2-10 years

3. 10-20 years

4. So long that I don't want to talk about it!

1. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

I've noticed that Barker Bassists span the gamut of experience from newbies to gigging pros.

How long have you been playing bass?
  2. edo801

Nov 1, 2005
    Greetings deep dwellers and multi-stringers

I've been playing bass for 30 years. That seems like a long time but in fact it seems like very little time to me. I remember saying to myself that I couldn't wait to have 20 years under my belt. Well it's 30 years later and I'm still obsessive about practicing. I still feel like there's more to learn and much more music to play.
    I think what's even more amazing is watching what came and went in the Bass Manufacturing world.(And what has stuck around) Back then, Alembic was the only high end game in town, Fender was a house hold name and if you played a Gibson bass, you were seen as a renegade. Rickenbacker Basses turned heads when you pulled it out the case but only a daring few stepped out of the Fender sound.
    Then Travis Bean and Kramer came and went with their Aluminum Necks. Steinberger stunned us with the Graphite headless designs. Boy were we put off, then Ibanez comes out with their Lawsuit specials, 5 Strings was way out of line, 6 string basses annoyed Guitarist and engineers, Midi basses had poor tracking records, but managed to hang on. Chapman Stick comes out and gives a whole new meaning to "one man Band",multi stringed basses becomes the norm, Electric Uprights allows us freedom to travel witout the bulk and Lee Barker steps ouf from tradition to develope the Barker Bass.
    It's been a great 30 years of music, stylistic techiques and best of all a kinship that is very special that no other instrumentalist share:Deep respect for our fellow low enders. I'm greatful to Lee for the advancement and new thought in Bass innovation. What he has given us, the bass community, is an instrument gorgeous in tone, aesthetically pleasing in design and something we've all done with our electric bass guitar: Turned them verticle.
    I look forward to 30 more years.

Edo Castro Hear my music at:
  3. Scwwitt

Nov 2, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    wow what a sum up of the growth of bass over the years. great job, i have only been playing for a miniscule 4 years. But those four years have been the greatest years of my life, I never did well in Science, or history, or Math. But for some reason Music just kind of clicked, and its funny because there is a lot of Math in music, but I guess when your applying math to something your passionate about it helps. over the past four years my love for music and bass has grown a massive amount, and even the plans for my life have changed. crazy