1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How long have you had your cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jjk2007, May 19, 2011.

1. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Endorsing Artist: DNA
    I know we often think of our favorite bass as something we may never let go of, maybe even a specific amp, but how many have a particular speaker cab that they will never let go of? How many have a cab that has been used and abused and it still won't die? I own a Hartke Hydrive 410 and am hoping this is one of those cabs. I know with all the brands and choices out there it is hard for some to keep the same cab for year after year (GAS), but let's hear some stories of those who have.

In the "cab that won't die" vein, I had an Eden D410T that I travelled with for close to 4 years in the early to mid 90's. Unfortunately that poor cab went through 1 major van/trailer roll, countless gigs/practices and always tons of gear sitting on top of it, all with no cover for protection. Two casters got ripped out, the grill was more scrape mark than black, it had tons of tears it the rat fur, and I think it even sat in a few inches of water once, but it never gave up. Now I did sell that cab, but I've had other cabs that have failed within a few months, and that's sitting in my home practice room being used at low volumes. So, let's here some cab stories!!

2. I sold a Fender 2x15 last summer - had it since 1967 and it always had one fuzzy speaker. Was glad to get rid of it.

3. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    I've had the top cab since '07 I believe.
    P1010002_4.

It'd had been my primary cab 'til this spring. Gigged every weekend with it at the August Hill tasting room spring thru fall with an occasional winter gig. It's been rock solid, I'll never part with it.

4. 1 1/2 years.

5. I have my 8*10 SVT since 1974

6. 11 years.

7. Rebop

Rebop

Jul 9, 2008
    La Honda, CA
    I've been using the same Genz Benz 4x10XB and 2x10XB cabs since 1999 or 2000. Looking to sell them though as I am getting sick of lugging these big heavy things. The Markbass stuff is starting to look really tempting.

8. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    I've still got the basses I bought when I was just starting out but sadly now I don't still have the amp and cab I bought when I first started out.

My dad build me my first bass amp, it was somethign he scrapped together out of some spare tubes and other stuff kicking around in the basement. Sure got hot and noisy and no it wasn't very powerful at all. He had some old movie theater speakers kicking around in the basement as well and he built me a cab for it out of that. I used that to learn on, I have no idea what happened to it. Wish I did. Better still, wish I still had it.

Then I bought a used combo which I had for years, eventually the amp failed and I gave it away so someone could use the bottom half.

Next I bought a Kustom 250-1 head with a Kustom 2x15 cab - both in black tuck-n-roll. This was from a working musician when I was in college, I actually went and saw him play while using it, a couple days later I went to his house and bought it. That was 25 years ago - still got THAT one! I gigged with it for years, finally set the head aside (still works, still have it) and got a GK 800RB used and gigged with THAT on top of the Kustom cab for more years, up until just last year. Now the Kustom head and cab are both semi retired, I play them in the house but thats it... for now.

9. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I've had my Aguilar S410s since 2006. Granted, that's not a real long time in cabinetdom. They've played a ton of gigs. Eventually, I would like to retire them to permanent rehearsal space status or something, as they are quite heavy.

10. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Hillsdale, Portland
    Ditto, except the original head died, trauma no less. The other cabs I've picked up along the way.

btw, amps seem to stay longer than axes....

11. Around 4 years ago I had Ralph Patterson custom build me a sweet little 1x10 cab. It comes with me to all my jazz gigs and any lower-volume gig where I don't need my AE410. Hopefully I can get at least another 4 years out of it!

110cxFinished.

12. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I have been running an ampeg svt en into an ampeg 2x10. That was my gigging set up for a good 6 years it got sold this year to make room for the swr 6x10. the 2x10 is still around for those smaller gigs although im thinking of upgrading that to a markbass 4x6.

13. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Just got a Genz Benz NeoXT212 a few months ago and I'll be hard pressed to ever even consider selling it. Absolutely amazing cab.

14. walkerci

walkerci

Mar 7, 2006
    Orlando, FLA
    I've had my Peavey 215D BW cab since 1979 or 80? Can't remember the exact date. I bought it new at Rondo Music on Route 22 in lovely Union, NJ.

Several years ago I sold the Black Widow drivers and put in Eminence Deltalite II 2515s, 2 NL-4 Speakons, and upgraded the wiring. This is cab sits in my band's rehearsal place.

I use my Berg NV412 for gigs though.

15. BRX10.2 & BRX10.4 - 2 1/2 yrs.

16. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    SWR Goliath Jr III (pre Fender) - a little over 2 and a quarter years. Still need to get a second cab, though.

17. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I've had my often-gigged Epifani 2x10 for just about 10 years; It's much less frequently gigged big-brother 4x10 for about 12 years.

18. theory028

theory028 Really Loud Hamburger.

Jul 4, 2007
    Cedar Falls, IA
    I've had my SVT810E for about 6 or 7 months now. I don't plan on selling it because it's my only cab, currently, and it sounds great with the SVT-VR. I hardly ever move it so that hasn't been an issue.

19. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass

Jun 19, 2009
    Norton, MA
    After joining TB one year ago, I became a cab whore.

I went through the following cabs in the last YEAR:

started off with a Berg HT212, sold it. Got a Markbass 210 combo with a 12" traveler, sold both. Got a Schroeder 1212l and 1212r, sold em both. Got an Epifani T410, sold it. Got an Epifani Ul2-212, sold it. Got 2X Genz NeoX112, sold em. Had Berg HT112, EX112, HT210 and HT115, sold em......

last month I bought the Bergantino AE 212 and I am absolutely in love. No regrets, no cab GAS either!

Happy to report I have ceased to be a cab whore. Thanks for listening...:D

20. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    My record is around 7 years, for the EA CxL-112 cab I just sold a few weeks ago. I very rarely buy or sell basses, but amplification stuff generally has no sentimental value at all to me. :cool:

That said, I'm hoping the Thunderchild cab I picked up in March will serve me for many years.