1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How long is a sample if 300 can fit on a disk?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jim T., Nov 26, 2003.

1. Hi,
    I'm brand new to using a multi effects unit.
    I'll be receiving a Zoom BFX 708 II on the day after Thanksgiving and I am confused by something-after reading through the manual online...

It says that 300 samples will fit on a 128 MB Smartmedia card. Does this mean that if the unit's factory default memory playback of a sample is 6 seconds, that this chip will fit three hundred six second samples on it?

I'd also be curious how many CD recording minutes I can get with a 32MB and 64 MB card.

Zoom hasn't responded yet to my eamail query.

Does anyone know the answers to the above?

Many thanks and have a great Thanksgiving!

Jim T.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    1. I guess so, the total being 30 minutes.

2. A minute of music in CD quality (44.1 kHz, 16 bit), costs you 10 MB/per minute.

So 128 MB = 12,8 minutes

64 MB = 6.4 minutes

32 MB = 3.2 minutes

3. Thanks JMX!
    It became a moot point once I got to my local Smartmedia dealer and they only had a 128...
    I just got my BFX today so I've tried the internal 6 second memory/slow down function and it works pretty well. The usual distortion at half speed but the eq brought the bass out pretty well... to be continued.
    Thanks again. I wanted around thirty minutes of sampling and it looks like the 32 and 64 MB cards would've been too short a recording time for what I need.

I appreciate your help. Jim