How long is a sample if 300 can fit on a disk?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jim T., Nov 26, 2003.

1. Hi,
    I'm brand new to using a multi effects unit.
    I'll be receiving a Zoom BFX 708 II on the day after Thanksgiving and I am confused by something-after reading through the manual online...

It says that 300 samples will fit on a 128 MB Smartmedia card. Does this mean that if the unit's factory default memory playback of a sample is 6 seconds, that this chip will fit three hundred six second samples on it?

I'd also be curious how many CD recording minutes I can get with a 32MB and 64 MB card.

Zoom hasn't responded yet to my eamail query.

Does anyone know the answers to the above?

Many thanks and have a great Thanksgiving!

Jim T.
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    1. I guess so, the total being 30 minutes.

2. A minute of music in CD quality (44.1 kHz, 16 bit), costs you 10 MB/per minute.

So 128 MB = 12,8 minutes

64 MB = 6.4 minutes

32 MB = 3.2 minutes
  3. Thanks JMX!
    It became a moot point once I got to my local Smartmedia dealer and they only had a 128...
    I just got my BFX today so I've tried the internal 6 second memory/slow down function and it works pretty well. The usual distortion at half speed but the eq brought the bass out pretty well... to be continued.
    Thanks again. I wanted around thirty minutes of sampling and it looks like the 32 and 64 MB cards would've been too short a recording time for what I need.

I appreciate your help. Jim