how long is a tube life?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by terraplane, Feb 4, 2003.

1. terraplane

Oct 14, 2002
    Italy, Palermo
    My question is:
    for you own personal experience, how long is a tube life? There is different life for power tubes and preamp tube?
    Thank you,
  2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    How long do tubes last?

A pretty damn long time. Long enough for you not to worry about it. ;)
  3. I think it's about roughly a year, for most.

Maybe the 'pro' tubes dye it quicker, but give better tone, and then the 'am' 'model' gives not so bad tone, but longer life. I'm just guessing this ;)

I think you can maybe get more than a year out of them.. BUt They start go dead...

Is a good example of this subject.

Microbass, don't guess. terraplane has a serious question and he's being fed a bunch of bull by his local dealer about tube life because his local dealer doesn't carry tube amps. Tubes last MUCH longer than a year. Tubes and transistors have EQUAL service lives. Tubes are more prone to vibration damage, but they don't just up and die every five minutes.
  5. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    take it from a guy who has a All tubed Traynor Bassman: Tubes last - but there is also maintenance

I have rarely changed my tubes but that wasn't the only things that needed attention

check out the bias, sockets and all the tubes (power and preamp) at least once every 1 to 2 years.

Find a good amp guy you can trust if you go all tube!!!
  6. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Last time I had an all-valve amp, I bought it used..had no idea how old valves were. I gigged with that amp daily for 6 years in 3 diff. countries, and then sold it to a pro who gigged every night. Bumped into him 5 years after I sold it to him, and he still had the original valves in it, and the amp sounded so good, I was sorry that I sold it. What's worse, I also sold him my Ibanez Musician...arrrghhhhhhhh.
  7. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    My 69 Sunn 2000S had the tubes replaced before I bought it 3 years ago. It still sounds like the day I bought it. Regarding vibration, I use a 2" thick piece of foam rubber between the cab and the amp as a shock absorber. I owned a showman back in the 60s and had to replace 6L6s bi monthly before I figured out the vibration was causing my problems.
    Not biasing the amp for tubes was probably another cause.
  8. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I've had the same tube in one of my preamps for 12 years.
  9. Rumblethump is exactly right. Use a piece of foam to isolate your tubes. If you do that, they'll last practically forever.

10. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    The Amperex tubes that came in my Alembic F-2B preamp still sound awesome and I bought it new over 20 years ago.
  11. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    1 tube life is equal to 12,587.365 string lives.

:D :D
  12. terraplane

Oct 14, 2002
    Italy, Palermo
    thank you! long is a string life?:)