1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How long is too long to ship?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by organworthyplayer337, Mar 16, 2016.

1. organworthyplayer337

organworthyplayer337 Professional Hack

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    I've read people who got negative feedback for taking "4 days" to ship. That got me thinking, what's considered too long to ship here on TB? I figured 4 days would be a little long but not a big deal.

Obviously 3 weeks or month is too long, but realistically, what do you think?

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

People got negative feedback over that? I always assumed since most people were so friendly with feedback that TB takes up to a week to ship, I have experienced this many times. I personally cannot stand it, I give buyers a detailed outline of when to expect the bass to be shipped. I always give myself a 48-72 hour window but I tend to get stuff out that day.

3. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    many people find 3 business days to be pretty standard for shipping prep and getting it to the shipper. Some people are prepped ahead of time and it takes less than that.

organworthyplayer337 likes this.
  4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Amazon has set my expectations high.
    If I buy something and it didn't ship that day, I'm making calls or e-mails to figure out what's the problem.

As someone who lives on the west coast, I get it if I buy something after business hours on the east coast that it ships the next day. However, if I buy something in regular business hours of that time zone that didn't ship out that same day, we have problems. Unless the website/seller specifies items ship at a later time. If that's the case, I wouldn't be buying from them anyway.

-Mike

Bob Clayton likes this.
  5. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    If I sell something here (or eBay), I will ship out the next business day. If you buy on Friday night, however, you'll have to wait until Monday. As the shipping guru at work, I am going to take advantage of the discounts we get to save myself a buck or two on shipping. That means no weekend shipping.

I blame you for making my job crazy LOL (I am kidding of course......I blame Amazon.) I think the OP was talking more about classifieds here on TB rather than a store. It's one thing to expect fast shipping from an online retail outlet, but some guy selling a pickup for a little extra cash? Unless it was agreed upon before hand to ship asap, I don't have a problem waiting.

6. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I negotiate it with the seller prior to purchase. If I'm the seller, I tell the buyer exactly when I intend to ship.

7. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Those details should be discussed prior to both parties agreeing to make a deal. IME, 3 days or less is fairly standard, but I've done deals where shipping wouldn't happen til a week later. Communication was always maintained each day until the good was shipped.

8. If you are concerned about taking a few days to complete an order, just state your standard handling-shipping time up front in your ad.

People that would get their panties in a bunch because their item didn't instantly materialize would likely not be a problem for you then.

9. ImNotJoel

ImNotJoel

Jan 12, 2014
    Connecticut
    image.

Sorry OP couldn't let this oppurtunity slide

10. If a sale closes one day, I make sure to ship no later than the following day. I expect the same from sellers. If you're not ready or able to ship, don't start the auction.

If there's a good reason for a delay (called out of town for a day or two) I immediately notify the buyer by email and let them know what day I will ship. Then I do it.

A week is absolutely the longest acceptable period, and ONLY then if the auction contains a clear warning/notice that shipping will be delayed by that period. The key: set expectations clearly in the auction!

This is a business transaction. Business is prompt. If the seller isn't prompt, they shouldn't sell. 3 weeks is unacceptable; I would lodge a complaint with Ebay after a week. 3 months is ludicrous and doesn't even need to be mentioned.

If you're on Ebay, remember that there are limits to the number of days a buyer can wait before lodging a complaint; you should NEVER plan on taking longer than that, as the buyer will logically and appropriately lodge a complaint within the time limit just for self-protection. I would.

11. organworthyplayer337

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    I've only purchased one thing from the TB classifieds and I think the seller took about 3-4 to ship. I had no problem with it. I strive to ship same/next day personally but if a seller did that it would be greatly appreciated. I don't know, negative feedback for 4 days to ship seems a little excessive.

Maybe it was who @MJ5150 left the feedback :roflmao: ;) Jk jk

12. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    I bought an item from Japan and got it shipped sea mail. The seller packed the item, brought it to a post office and mailed it. The package was then put into a shipping container with other postal packages and waited at some dock until the container ship arrived. Then, it made a trans-Pacific trip and was unloaded in California. It went to a US postal office and shipped across the US on a truck. From a big sorting center in Maryland, it got sent to a nearby post office. Then, the local postman delivered it to me. That was around two months. It wasn't a bass, but I had to have a lot of patience.
    I like to send the buyer an e-mail after I ship an item. Because an auction could have ended on a Saturday afternoon or evening. If they win an auction and I know
    I can't ship it ASAP, I'll tell them I received their payment and will be shipping it on The day I can, usually the next business day.

13. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Same. I'll almost always ship it out the next business day after payment was made.

14. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I live about 3 miles from an Amazon fulfillment center. I have an Amazon Prime account.
    Sometimes I get stuff before I complete the order.

sissy kathy, ChrisB2, MJ5150 and 2 others like this.
  15. I always ship the next day if possible, and never go longer than three days. Three days is actually a stretch. I don't think I've ever shipped three days after the sale.

I don't expect that from everyone though. Some people have lives. But if it goes over a week, I consider that person a lazy schlub regardless how much life they have, unless they're dead.

What really bugs me is the few times eBay buyers never paid after wining an auction. Those types need to be dealt with harshly. Unless they're dead, of course.

16. organworthyplayer337

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Geez, you are a lucky man! ;)

MJ5150 and Gravedigger Dav like this.
  17. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    This is another one of those "it depends" things. Is it coming to me from Phoenix, AZ now? I think a couple of days is not unreasonable, and if the shipper doesn't want to pay for weekend shipping; I don't especially like it, but I can understand it. Is it coming from Northern Maine, by ground, to me - in late December? I'll be happy if it gets here at all. And if it's coming from another country, across a border or two? Regardless of the time of year, same thing; I'll be happy if I get it at all...:)

18. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Communication is key. Buyer talks to seller and they work out the details. Small ebay items will already be packed and ready, print a label and it's outta here. There is a post office 7 miles from my house, and they are about all I use for shipping these days unless it's a big item and the seller has a preference.

19. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i sometimes take two to three days to ship, but my listings all say it will be 3 days to ship.

20. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    i ship immediately only because i HATE thinking about things i don't have to. last week i scheduled a UPS Pick-up/Amazon Return. the "pick-up" was a day late,... GRRRRRRR!!! :mad: