Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how long is too long?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by fretbuzz, Oct 4, 2002.

1. quick question, would a 40' long cable be too long for a passive bass or is it really not an issue. i run a little short with my 30 footer and like most fellas i need it a little longer.

2. I'm moving this to misc. I think you'll get more responses in that forum.

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    You're probably already losing some of your signal with a 30' cable, and will only lose more with a 40'. Specifically, your highs. Personally, I've never had to go past 18'. Do you do laps around the stage?

4. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    If you need a cable that long, why not get a wireless system?

5. mans0n

mans0n

Jun 15, 2002
    i would say 40ft is way to long, why the heck would you be 40 ft away from your amp anyway?

thats a big tangle of a mess of wires. you would get more interference from outside sources the longer the cable is. also signal degradation would just get higher and higher every inch when your much further then 25-30 feet.. i wouldnt recomend 40 feet..... but if thats what you want.... try it out... :) prove me wrong?

but then again, maybe try and find some way to use single mode optical fiber. 3000meters should be enough for you... seeing as you want to be maybe standing BEHIND the audience when you play :D

6. thanks for the replies, thats excatly what i needed to know. the reason i need (want) more length is that i like to practice in my garage and walk around the driveway a little bit. i guess i shoud save some cash for a good wireless. (i need one for my choir gigs anyway) peace.

7. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    If you get a wireless, be sure to check what the lowest frequency it can handle is.
    E=41.203 Hz
    B=30.868 Hz

8. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
  9. 40 foot... that's like 12 meters !?!!! what the heck are you going to do.. bungeejump while playing bass ??

time to do either wireless, or another onstage act :)

10. Well, I was always led to believe that the capacitance of a long cable rolled off the highs, but then along comes Albert Collins with his 100ft cable, and there aint nobody on this earth got more highs than Albert Collins. His cable was so long, he had a guy following him round while he walked through the audience, so he did'nt get tangled up!

11. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I think the loss of highs is most apparent if the signal the cable carries is of higher impedance, i.e. from a passive bass. If you have an active bass and a decent quality cable, length might not be such a big deal after all.

12. just use the gain trimmer ;)

13. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Oh, I'm sure the neighbors love that.;)

14. you can also buy/build a "buffer"... it will let you run long cables with ease..

[​IMG]

details HERE

15. BassPlayerGush

BassPlayerGush

Sep 23, 2001
    PA
    what happens if you have a bunch of cables together with pedals in the series that equal 40 feet?

16. they do!! ive overheard several neighbors comment on how much they enjoy my low tones. no, but really, im sure they hate me but they know if they complain i would only double my efforts.

17. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I wish MY amp was so powerful that I needed a 40' cable:D

18. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Atta boy