How long is your set?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Steve Harris Is, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Steve Harris Is

Steve Harris Is

Jul 4, 2005
    For those of you playing in a local area(bars n clubs, etc), how many sets do you generally play and how many songs make up each set?
  2. Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    In one project we do 4- 45 min. sets and start on the hour. Maybe 12 standards per set, more or less depending on the length of the songs.

In another project we do 3 - 1 hour sets with 20 minutes in between. Generally 16 or so per set there.
  3. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Four sets, 12 to 13 songs a set. Did somebody already say that?
  5. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    1 hr slot generally. This means about 45 min playing. If we are the headliner (not the favored slot in this town) we go on for longer- maybe another 20-30 minutes if people are enjoying it. We are usually booked with 2 bands, play one set of all originals, progressive alternative/metal style of music.
  6. BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    One hour set. 30 min break. repeat 2x, collect money, smile.
  7. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    We do 3 sets. The first is about an hour, maybe a little more. We take about 10, maybe 15 for a break. We like to keep them short. The second set is a little shorter, maybe 45 - an hour. The 3rd set is about 30 - 40 minutes.
  8. threshar

Jul 30, 2002
    Depends on the gig.
    Sometimes you need to fill 3 hours, sometimes 1.

that being said, we play from 1-2 hours, 15 min break, then play until we stop. The number of songs varies depending on which tunes we play and how long we drag them out :)
  9. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    for three sets we do about 45 to 1 hour each 10-14 songs.
  10. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Our songs are all between 7 and 12 minutes long. Last time we had to play sets, we couldn't fit in more than 4 songs a set.
  11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

My bands mostly play bar/restaurant gigs and private parties: various forms of rock, mostly covers. The most common schedule by far is three one hour sets with two 1/2 hour breaks. It's usually 12-15 songs per set, depending on lots of variables.

Wedding gigs vary due to all the usual reasons (speeches, dinner, cake cutting, etc).
  12. txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    One set is usually about 45 minutes, with a ten-to-fifteen minute break in between each. We do anywhere from two to four of those, depending on the venue and whether or not there is an opener.

We try to avoid taking any gig that won't let us play for, at bare minimum, an hour. There is a trend in newer Austin clubs to have a lot of bands booked, one right after the other. You only get 30-40 minutes, and you only get paid by the number of people in the club *while you are playing*. Like, if a fan comes in to see you, but they get there early, while the band before you is still on, *that* band gets *your fan's* money.

Ridiculous waste of time, if you ask me. Give me at least an hour and decent pay, or it ain't worth me getting a babysitter and making a flyer.

Cherie :)
  13. SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Every gig for us is: 4 sets, 4 hours in duration.
    Roughly 45 on, 15 off.
  14. Ahhh... to be young again. You guys have Stamina (with a capital "S"!!!). I'd keel over dead if I had to play 3-4 hrs./set.
  15. txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Oh, but I LOVE a long show like that! Short shows, it always feels like, "Dang, I feel like I just got started, and now I have to stop."

But, being older, I take a *nap* that afternoon. So I don't keel over dead. ;-)

Cherie :)
  16. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    We play three sets...15-20 songs per set depending on how the gig is going. We usually take 15 minute breaks.

We also usually run over because of crowd requests for "one more"...a few times over. :D

We love playing, so playing more than the alloted time is cool with us. Our philosophy is..."We play music for free because we enjoy's the travel, setup and tear-down that we charge for."
  17. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    My band usually plays two sets a night. 1st set - 9:30pm to Midnight. 2nd set - 12:30am to 2:00am. We like to play! :bassist:
  18. I think generally (in England at least) its 2 45 minute sets a gig for covers bands, about 20-30 mins for an originals band (well, thats my experience)

I don't know how you guys can go on till 2 in the morning - I've never finished after midnight, probably because the law won't allow it
  19. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I have a pretty long set but with the right underwear and some baggy pants you can't tell.:oops:
    Ha I am joking!
    We usually do 3 45-50 minute sets with half hour breaks.