Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how long should i wait to restring??

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mxpxbass182, Aug 7, 2001.

1. mxpxbass182

mxpxbass182 Guest

Jun 2, 2001
    mass
    hey guyz and galz i need some help. how long should someone wait to restring ur bass? is there a good time to do it like every 2months or somethin

please reply thanx

2. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    my general rule is: if they sound completely dead, change 'em. But some people like dead strings and never change strings, and some people change strings more frequently because they like a bright sound.

3. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    I'd agree with PoT - it's entirely down to your own personal preferences. Somebody like John Entwistle changes them after every gig, while James Jamerson only probably had about three different pairs in his life.

I personally change them every two months or so, as that's when they tend to die in my experience. However, if I may assume for a moment that the 182 at the end of your username denotes that you're into punk, you might want a brighter sound, which means you'll probably want to change the strings more often.

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    For me, there are three stages in the life of my DR's...sounds kind of weird, I know. But, I use these stages to determine when to restring.

Stage one is when the strings are fresh and pick up the littlest nuances of my playing. The strings have an added kick in the attach that just sounds so cool it sends shivers up and down my spine. That only lasts a couple of hours worth of playing, which is when some people consider strings dead, such as John Entwistle.

The sencond stage is when the initial brightness wears off, there's a certain warmth that just sings in the midrange section, which gives my Spector a certain character that I love. The brightness has faded a bit by then, but the strings are just so warm sounding at this point...;)

The third stage comes usually a few weeks or even a month after the second stage when the strings have lost their life and just seem flat.

I generally change strings a lot less often when I'm not in a band situation, due to issues of cost and what sounds good at home. In a band situation, though, I always change strings about 3 hours before a show.

5. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Definitely change at the first sign of the green stuff. You know what I'm talking about.

6. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    hmm well according to your name i'm guessing yoiu like punk??

if so i'd reccomdend changing your strings sooner the better i guess. Every 3 monthes or so. I have 2 basses. One is a punk bass, where i change the strings often to keep the tone bright. The other is for more hard rock type stuff so the older and dirtier the strings the better. I like the sound of dead strings sometimes, they sound darker and thumpier.

7. Parlfetch

Parlfetch

Aug 8, 2001
    Chicago
    I agree with everyone. Change them when you feel they need a changing. I use DR High Beams. I actually change them every 10 days or so. Thats with about 28 hours of intense playing. They feel crisp and the tone is amazing. After that they tend to sound bad.

8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Kind of a "Strings" forum question, innit?

9. i changed mine in a year. I got my bass in August 2000 and i just changed them maybe a week or two ago. But that's becuase i don't have much money. It's all up to you when you feel you should change them. But i think i would change them like 3-5 months if i traveled around to play gigs all the time.

10. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    When the moon is full and the moss grows on the north side of the tree....

Or...

When you decide you want them to sound a. better b. different c. brighter d. newer

11. When the strings start to sound like yarn, replace them.

12. It all depends on the type of strings and what sounfd you like. Generally I play with a set of strings for about 30-50 hours. Thats what I recomend, but do what you think is best.

13. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    it is kinda funny that there is two threads on this same subject. i was wondering what happened to my post when i read the other one. :D