How long should I wait?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by fleabass89, May 5, 2001.

1. After making adjustments to the truss rod, how long should I wait before playing it again, or doesn't it matter?
  2. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    it shouldn't matter at alll.... the changes should take affect right after you moved the tross rod or at least start to..
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Just don't be surprised if you're slightly out of tune the next day. A "settling-in period" is common, especially if you have higher humidity where you live.
  4. isn´t it also usually suggested not to turn the tross rud more than 1/4 of a turn each day or something....

I´ve been screwing around with my truss rod and I´ve usually turn from about 1/3 to 1/2 a turn per day... that works well... got rid of the buzzes... most of them anyway
  5. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I think that everybody's partly right. When DarkMazda states that you should see the results right away, that should, IMO, read 'most of the results'... Like rickbass1, my basses take some settling in, usually a day, before the full adjustment is in effect. After all... this is wood we're talking about here

Good rule of thumb, as you mentioned, is tightening 1/4 or so turn a day, tune to pitch, let it sit for a bit and check again. I do find that if I am loosening the rod, increasing the relief, things tend to settle out a bit quicker if I tune UP a half step or so, play for a bit, then tune to pitch... Go figure