How long to hold a check?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by 5bassman, Mar 18, 2006.

1. 5bassman

5bassman Supporting Member

May 4, 2005
    I just sold a bass and always ask for a Postal m.o. but the guy sent me a Cashiers check because he didn't have time to got to the Post office. The guy has great feedback selling on Ebay so I believe he's legit and I've talked to him on the phone. My question is, how long does it normally take a check to clear the bank, the bank being one state away?
  2. burgerme

Mar 3, 2006
    There are alot of variabilities there - bank policy, postal service, etc. - so you really can't say. Maybe a week or so, but who knows.

That said, I've bought/sold several on Ebay, and I would definitely hold the bass until it does clear. If he has good feedback and "didn't have time to go to the post office", he should realize it's his fault and cut you some slack accordingly.

I'm sure if you communicate well with him, he'll be cool. I've found most Ebayers are...
  3. It depends on which bank you bank at, and which bank HE banks at. It could be anything from a couple days to 2 weeks.

Have you or anyone you know worked with him before? It might help aleviate any misgivings you might have.

Rock on
  4. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    14 days, just send him a email and tell him why you are not shipping out asap.