how long to learn a cover song?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by macool, Jun 10, 2001.

1. ok this is for everyone that is in a band. how long does it take yor band to get a cover song down perfect? it usually takes us about 2 to 3 hours of practice to get them down. is this good or is that the average time. it only took us two days to make our first original song. we cant seem to think em up that fast antmore though.
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Well, it really depends. A three-chord song you heard a few hundred times is infinitely easier to get down than a fifteen chord song you only heard once or twice. Also, are you learning completely by ear or are you using charts? the best way to learn the song is for everyone to pick out their part beforehand so that when rehearsal time comes, you spend a minimum amount of time going back and forth arguing how the song goes and more time actually playing it. It's good to bring the tune along (if you're in a studio) to hear it together so all can agree on parts.

3. Like Big Wheel said,if it's a three chord song it will definitely be much easier to commit it to memory.I'm the type of bassist who needs to practice covers over and over.I don't know why,but,when it comes to originals I have a tendency to learn them faster and commit them more readily to memory.Maybe I'm backwards,oh well.
  4. generaly people's memories have a reason behind remebering things. Often its an emotional moment that will cause you to remember somthing. Maybe thats why you remember original songs easyer than covers, because its tied to somthing personal inside of you, where as a cover will just be somthing out of the blue. not always though some covers have the ability to come out and touch you.
  5. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Sounds music related to me! Whoo-hoo! While General Instruction might fit, Miscellaneous sounds better.

Off we go.
  6. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    We were having a rough time to start off. We took a bite of the horn-focused tunes. It took us about 6 or 7 times each to get them to be acceptable.

It really blew our minds when we started working out some break-tunes (songs where the horns can rest their precious lips). We could do them 1st or 2nd time through (of course with any covers, you are expected to know the tunes when you come to rehearse).

The biggest problem I've ever had doing covers is working with guitar players who swear they know the chords but once you start playing, it sounds nothing like what you expect. I pick up everything by ear when learning a bass line. But that's pretty easy. I think you really MUST insist on using the tabs for the guitar part. Guitarists have the tendancy to convince themselves they have the right chord picked out.
  7. generally our band takes about 4 hours to get a song down. Then we make our own little changes to it so it'll fit our style and won't sound exactly the same but you'll know what song it is.
  8. That's got to be it.It definitely is more personal when it's your own "kid." Deep down I sometimes think of covers as the red-headed stepchild.
  9. 25.4578 minutes exactly.
  10. hehehehehehe very funny.
  11. two to three hours seems about right to learn a cover. A couple of days for an original is what it takes us.
    I definately learn the song faster if I like it or if it has an interesting bassline.