1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How long to your first gig?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Pbassred, Feb 23, 2008.

1. 1 week

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  2. 4 weeks

11 vote(s)
    44.0%
  3. 3 months

8 vote(s)
    32.0%
  4. 6 months

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  5. 12 months

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. greater than 12 months. or never

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  1. I'm not talking about deps and bands formed on the fly for a one off show, or about being a replacement.

How long was it between all meeting for the first time to your first show? (Assuming material written or its covers. Also assuming a greater than 60 minute set). In your current or most recent band.

Edit:- Since this forum is to spread experience, A suplimentary question would be: what is the best method/schedule to get the band "trained".

2. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Tonight first gig about 45 country and southren rock songs....yah been there before doing it again.

3. Staring an all original band I usally go at least 3 months. I have joined an allready established original band and gigged within a week. The best was participating in The Rock Lottery in which names were drawn in the morning and the bands had to all day to write and practice and then had to perform that evening.

4. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Cover band: If it takes longer than three weeks you're playing with the wrong guys.

Blues band: If it takes longer than two weeks you're playing with the wrong guys.

Jazz: If it takes a rehearsal you're playing with the wrong guys.

5. bassaficionado6

bassaficionado6 Something about gumption

Jan 7, 2008
    Napa, CA
    It took my band nearly two years to get a gig at MY house. LOL. However, when I started with the band, I was only about a month into learning bass. The only person who had played extensively with their instrument was the keyboardist, however, he was only skilled with classical music, so he had a hard time switching over to more rock oriented stuff.

6. gjsven

gjsven

Oct 6, 2007
    Canberra, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: Cutting Edge Guitars
    Haha I wish I could learn three sets of covers in three weeks in amongst work and other things... Come to think of it, I wish I could skip work for three weeks to concentrate on learning three sets of covers.

I'm pretty much in this situation now. My new band has had two rehearsals so far but we haven't finalised a permanent drummer yet, so technically we haven't started the countdown! I think we're aiming to play our first cover show around late April, although it will probably just be a backyard party to get the gig experience together.

7. 1 band I'm in, I was doing some fill in gigs for their bass player at the time and in 1 week had learned 13 songs over the course of 2 days, had 2 practices and did the 1st of 2 gigs I was asked to do at the end of that week. Did the next gig the following week and told them if they wanted me in the band then I wanted in. The guy I was filling in was pretty unreliable and they called him the next day to say goodbye. I'd auditioned for this band about 8 months before I ended up joining and they wanted me right off but I ended up joining another band at that time and then ended up in 2 bands for a while.

Another band I'm in, same deal except they had no bass player and some gigs they didn't want to cancel. I'd played with the drummer and lead guitarist in another band for almost 2 years and they said they knew I could pull off learning all the tunes. I had 3 weeks of rehearsals and learned 15 songs. After the 2nd gig, I was told I was in if I wanted it.

The singer from the second band and I are doing a side project with a drummer he's played with for in a previous band for almost 4 years. He'd been wanting to do some of the material he'd written that didn't work in the context of the band we're in already and he told me upfront that he wanted me involved because I was the type of bass player he'd wanted the whole time in his previous band. I learned 18 songs and after 3 weekends of practice we did our 1st gig last week and I'm doing double duty next week with 2 of my bands. One is opening for the other and then I have a gig the next night with the 3rd band.

I've been lucky I can learn stuff fast and my wife is pretty cool about my schedule! I've been pretty much doing a gig every 2 weeks for the past 2 years.

8. I just added to the original question, a suplimentary question: what is the best method/schedule to get the band "trained".

I didn't put my own experience. I have, more than once, actually met the band for the first time on stage! I've also played songs I don't know. (This is paying gigs, not jam nights). On the other hand, I had one covers band that took 9 months, never sounded right and split after 2 gigs. I also had an original project that never played live after 4 years!

I think that he difference in all these bands was the amount of work that the musicians put in at home.