How Long Until Considered Vintage?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by B'Aces High, Jul 22, 2004.

How Long For Vintage?

Poll closed Aug 21, 2004.
  1. 10 years?

2. 20 Year?

3. 30 Years?

4. 30+ some Carrots?

1. How long do you think a bass has to be around before it can be considered vintage in your opinions.
    Im attempting to lay claim to a bass that is about 20 years old at this moment...but would its age make it vintage?

Just a curious fun thread. :)
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Somewhere between 20 and 30. Right now i think its anything pre 1980. Maybe in year 2010, basses from the 80's can be considered vintage.
  3. From what I've seen in various music stores, it's 20 years.

I don't know if this is official, but I've never seen any guitar or bass listed as vintage unless they can somehow prove it's 20 years old.

4. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Historically, not that the modern electric bass or guitar has been around that long (compared to other instruments), it seems to be around the 20-25 year period. However, it will be interesting to see whether people look at basses from the early to mid '80s as "vintage" as and "collectible" instruments as opposed to just plain old..

It's interesting because many vintage dealers justified the high prices because these "old" instruments were superior. They had been "played in", used, and had "sweetened" over time, making them sound better, play better, and feel better than new instruments that often were superior in build quality. I'm curious to see if the vintage guys can make the same argument for an '83 Fender P-bass over a new Lull, Lakland, or Sadowsky, etc. I'm also curious to see if the market will even view these instruments as valuable commodities. I can potentially see guitar players seeking out Steve Vai JEM guitars from the late '80s and early '90s. Those types of specialty instruments might be of interest, but a regular old Hamer, Peavey or Fender might be a different story.
  5. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    From the people i've talked too, 30 yrs. minimum.
  6. Can I advertise my '94 Mercury Grand Marquis as being "vintage"???? :rolleyes:
  7. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I want a just plain old bass. I was looking at a fender Kantna(?) bass. I wanted to buy it but didn't have money. Oh well probley for the best.

I say anything before from the 70's 60's and 50's is vintage
  8. dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    I have a vintage '92 LeBaron, maroon with matching leather interior... Will trade for late model BMW, Rolls, Benz, or Saleen.
  9. 20+ years for a bass that is still made, and maybe less for now defunct items. Steinberger's I consider vintage, for example.
  10. For a Fender, it's usually 25 years or so. Late 70s/early 80s Fenders are becoming Vintage. For Steinbergers, for example, which were big in the 80s, a mid 80s model would probably be considered vintage.
  11. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    For vehicles, it is LEGALLY considered to be 25 years. At that point, at least here in Ohio, you can get "historical" tags for your car & then emissions restrictions are dropped.
  12. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Until current vintage gear becomes so expensive that nobody can afford it anymore.
    Then the next generation starts driving interest and magically becomes vintage.
    70s' Fenders anyone ?
    So yeah, it won't take but 4-5 years until first japanese Fender become vintage, IMHO.
  13. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    If we're talking Fender basses, I'd say over 20 years. Right now if it’s from the 70s, it’s vintage. In fact I was just saying on another thread that its amazing how anything will become hip after enough years pass (The Carpenters, ABBA, Johnny Cash--ok, Johnny was always hip with me). Anywho, let us not forget for years people insisted Fenders from the 70s were crap. However, now you just try and buy a '75 natural finished ash jazz bass with maple board and block inlays (ala, Marcus) in good condition!

So my advice is to run out and buy all those kooky Fenders that didn't catch on in the 80s. Like those Jazz and P bass updates with reduced body size, pickgaurd-free, elongated upper horns, Lace Sensor pickups, etc. In a few more years some young snotty on MTV will be playing one and sonofagun, YOU'LL be the proud owner of a "vintage" bass. Now go get em!!!

14. BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
    In my book a guitar/bass is vintage if it's from a period before "they don't make them like that anymore", whatever that is. Just 10/20/30/whatever tears old doesn't do it for me. I don't see why inferior instruments should be getting 'vintage' status (and become overpriced with that) automatically when the calender reaches a certain year.
  15. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Tell me about it! Paying thousands of dollars for a good but old beat up bass is bad enough. But paying thousands for dollars for an old piece of crap is just nuts. But hey, a person is entitled to piss away their money if they want, no?
  16. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Who voted 10 years? :rollno: