How loud can an old v4-b play?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, May 4, 2001.

1. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I´ve found this Ampeg V4-b in great condition with everything original including the tubes. It sounds great but I am worried that the volume is not enough. I have just tried it in the store at moderat volume. Some say it´s got enough volume for any gig as long as you have a PA. I´m going to use it with a Bag End S15-d and eventualy add one more 15". This speaker is very efficient at 103 db @ 1w/1m. I play everything from country to Springsteen to the Clash.
    Please help me so I don´t make a mistake.
    I can´t afford an old SVT and they are extremely rare in Sweden.

2. I actually had a V4B back in the mid-80s. I had the Ampeg 2/15" along with it and it had plenty of volume.

Don't let this discourage you because it's a great amp.

It's the only piece of equipment I ever had that actually BURST into Flames on me during a show.
    I was just playing along and ,all of a sudden, all these flames and smoke start coming out of the face of the amp.

It was excellent.

We all laughed our asses off.

Others probably thought it was part of the show.
    People used to torch stuff on stage back then.
    Hell, I torched a couple guitars (cheap ones).

Again don't consider that in making your purchase. I just thought it was an amusing story.

3. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Will it make any difference if I use a 410 with 103 dB @ 1w/1m. Will it be as loud as two 15"?
  4. Jock,
    I have a 74-75 V4b and play in a five piece rock band.
    It has more than enough power for what I do.
    I have yet to send it through the P.A. because it wasn't loud enough.
    To date, It hasn't been played past 11:00 on the dail.
    In fact most of the sound man we have worked with seem to always comment that I am way too loud. (naturally)
    Although It's rated at 100 watts, It's really more like 120.
    The only downside to the thing is it weighs a ton.
    They sound great, I say GO,GO,GO!!!
  5. Old Blue

Old Blue

Mar 18, 2000
    I use a V-4 with 2x10 and 1x15 cabs. With the volume on my P at about 3/4, and the amp volume at half, it starts everthing around it vibrating and snares slapping on the drumheads. Unless you're playing in really big venues, it'll do just fine. Big, heavy beast with wonderful tone.
  6. Here's my's a GREAT sounding amp, but I need more volume. Get this, my weekly church gig, we play in a very "soft" theater, and I had to turn it up more than I wanted to, to the point where I got more distortion than I wanted. And this was with a Bag End 2x10, very efficient. Everyone always says this amp is louder than you're likely to every question then, is...why do they make the SVT? At moderate volumes, nothing, and I mean nothing, sounds as sweet as this amp. I like a little distortion, but when I turned this up to the volume I needed, it was too distorted. And we miked it through the PA, so it was just for stage volume.

My suggestion, get and use this amp, but run a line out of it to another power amp if you don't have a PA or need more volume. But remember, you always have to runa load out of it (speakers) or you'll tear it up.