How loud is 150-200 watts compared to 300

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by krazy_olie, Nov 4, 2004.

1. krazy_olie

May 10, 2004
    I'm not sure if it's really worth daving up or a 300w setup that would cost me £350 + in the uk , either laney r4/r5 MAG 300 )15" combo or a behringer head and seperate cab.

Or i could get an Ashdown Electric Blue (180w) or Laney r3 (165) for £250. Volume i assume would be quite simmilar, different features though, the R3 looks a little favourable due to its 8 ohm extension so if i added an extra cab i would get the most out of it.

seeing as i'm only 16, going on 17, unlikely to find work due to unavailablity and generally slow income £100 is a lot of money, but is it worth the extra watts, i would mainly use it for band practice and small venues.

When i first started bass in my old band i used a 130W peavey (i think) for practice against a drum kit and a 50W Marshall and that was plenty loud, so can the extra £100 be justified?
  2. csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between 200 and 300 watts besides a touch more headroom.
  3. get the Ashdown mag 300h forget the electro blue 180w thingy as its pants in comparison, has no guts compared to the mag300

I ve played the Mag300 and its loud and rocks, for the money its a superb amp ( £210 approx new ) try in Newcastle on line deals very low prices. Then either get a cheap second hand 1 x 15" cab or 4 x 10" something like Trace Elliot or Peavey, Laney, etc etc would cost about £75 to £100.

This rig would allow you to play at home, practice in halls and do decent sized gigs with a loud band.

The Mag300 head sounds nearly as good as the ABM series and for the money its a real good amp to use live etc.

Dont make the mistake of spending now and wishing it was louder. bigger / better a few months later.

I would stay away from combos to start with as they restrict you a bit in choice of cabs etc.Get the head and go from there, when you are older , have more money and want portability then go to combos and small gear.
  4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    a 300 watt amp (with the same speaker configuration) will be 3 dB louder than a 150 watt amp. That's the smallest difference a person can hear.
  5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    You can hear 1dB differentials at some midrange frequencies, and in fact that's how the value of one dB was originally derived. But 3dB is about right for the smallest increment that can be easily heard broadband.

A larger amp is usually the wrong way to go about getting a louder sound, as both speaker sensivity and frequency response are far more important when it comes to how many decibels a system will produce and at what frequencies it can produce them. A good speaker can sound great with 50 watts, and a bad one crappy with 500.

I agree about combos, they tend to have really mediocre speakers (the system, that is, which consists of driver(s) and an enclosure).
  6. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

It's been a while since I've jacked with speaker stats so I don't remember the specifics but speaker efficiency is MAJOR. It's something dramatic, like 1 spl increase doubles the output. Somebody reading this should know exactly.
  7. krazy_olie

May 10, 2004
    How does the Behringer bx3000t compare to the MAG 300H it's much more in my price range and is also 300w.

Also if i get a head with a 4ohm minimum is it wasted if i get 1 8 ohm cab?
  8. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yup - I run about the same size Hartke head with a Hartke 4X10 bottom, and I find it to just about keep up with the volume of a drum kit being played hard, so I consider it a bare minimum. I run full-time compression, so I suppose I don't need as much headroom as some (I delay the attack pretty much, so there is some punch when I dig-in or slap that requires some headroom). It's useable, and I like the sound, but my next amp setup will definately be at least 300W; I'm thinking that even at the same practical volume, more headroom would allow more subtle, airy hamonics ring out clearer at high volumes.

9. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I think a factor also is that if you're playing with fairly 'young' bands, you likely wouldn't often get the advantage of big, full-range PA systems or monitors - so You'd better be able to make an impression with the sound you bring with you. You hear alot of these older pros talking about their combos and compacts, but these guys are line driving into a thousand Watts or more of full-range PA system. Your listeners have to be able to FEEL that bass.

Depending on the situation, I think that if a bass player has only so much money to spend, there can be some wisdom in an amp with the capablity for big'ol sloppy, brute-force, earth shaking authority, over immaculate, world-class tone that doesn't have enough 'nads!

10. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    Remember this when asking the same ?
    It will take ten times the wattage to double the volume that the human ear detects as twice as loud.....So, the difference in your given hypithetical situation would be nil..... :eyebrow: