how loud is 180 watts?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by toolfanhere, Oct 29, 2000.

1. toolfanhere

Aug 17, 2000
    i just bought a 180 watt fender uhhh... im not sure wich series. but if u own a 180 watt fender combo or hav ever owned a 180 watt, is it loud enough to play at shows? parties, small clubs, etc. and if it isnt, how loud would be good for a band just playing local?
  2. Bring it outside and turn it up... if neighbor's from down the block complain.. it's perfect! hahahha =)

3. ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    How loud is 180 watts? Well--that's kinda like asking: "How fast is 300 h.p.?". It all depends on the application.

If you're going to play a small coffe-house type gig, then yes, 180 w should be enough. BUT, if you're playing in a death metal band and the guitarist is using a 200 watt Marshall, you are going to be stepped on like an ant!

Keep in mind also that you can always mic the amp if you're playing through a PA system. This should provide you with enough volume.

4. White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    One quick thought here: your wattage and how loud it sounds is going to depend upon the acoustics of where you're playing and what you're playing against. For example, a lot of people say that a general rule of thumb is to have between 3 to 5 times the wattage of whatever your guitar player is using. However, this will depend upon how loud you want to sound, how loud your drummer is, and how loud your guitar player plays. I know of lots of people who get by in a full band situation with a 100-200 watt amp.
  5. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    We [the group that was playing] got the cops called on us for being to loud [the guy that called the cops lives about 2blocks away] the thing is though we only had this setup going

1 Peavy 15-40 watt guitar amp
    1 Fender FrontMan 15R
    & my Fender BXR 15 with a drummer...crazy people wouldn't know loud if it was right next to their ear. So the volume depends on where you're playing & who with along with their rig size. thats all
  6. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    I played a house party on Saturday with a 120 Watt head going into a 4x12 guitar cab and I was able to keep up with my two guitarists, drummer, and singer easily. We were very loud, but we warned the neigbors a few days before so they didn't mind at all.
  7. Dave S...

Dave S...

Oct 13, 2000
    If it turns out that you don't get enough sound at higher volumes, there's a couple things you could try to help a BIT...

At louder volumes, you may have to turn down your low EQ knobs a bit (this helps conserve your amp's power--the power can be used for volume, instead of extra bass boost...)

Or, put your amp in the corner of the room if possible. Having the walls around it tends to help emphasize bass frequencies a bit. If your amp sounds a little 'plinky' then this might help in a mid-gig emergency...

Best Wishes
  8. If you're using a low B string you will likely need more power than that. Otherwise, trial and error will tell you.
  9. ulf_kurt

Feb 10, 2000
    Umea, Sweden
    Well, heres my thoughts!

In our band the guitarplayer plays through a 50w head and a 4x12 cab. I play my bass through a 200w 15" combo.

He can drown me like THAT! At practice it's ok. I push my amp pretty good (about 2/3 of the capacity). At the same time his master is set to about 2 and it's LOUD.
    At gigs I always go through a PA, wich makes it all work wonderfull.

So, if you ask, will a 180 watt amp work (for itself, without lining or micing it) in a club-gig-situation.
    I think you will struggle.

PA is a good thing :)

10. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Volume depends on a lot more than just watts! Case in point...I have 2 amps, one of which is a 100 watt GK and the other has a 4x10 cabinet (8 ohms).

My 100 watt GK, solo, is loud enough to play with my boom-box, and that's about it. The same amp attached to my 4x10 cabinet (with the same wattage doesn't change, here) puts out almost enough volume to keep up with a moderately loud guitarist.

The point I'm trying to make is that volume also depends on the speaker cabinet you're playing through. My 4x10 has a sensitivity rating of 111 db, which is considered very high for the industry (it's made by EBS:D, by the way). That sensitivity rating essentially translates into a more efficient cabinet, thereby making it SOUND louder, as there's more sound PRESSURE.

For those hard of hearing that's twice as loud as something half it's volume.

12. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    180 watts is damn loud.. before i got my hartke, i used to borrow my friends fender m-80 wich is 180 watts.. damn loud amp.. my guitar player used a 120 crate with 6 speakers.. and i was louder.. and i wasnt ven on 3.. and were a heavey metal band..