1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

how loud is the mesa diesel or RR 1x15?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stevekim, Apr 4, 2006.

1. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    can anyone who owns or has played this cabinet comment on how loud it is? i love mesa equipment. my head is an older mesa bass 400. would the 1x15 be loud enough to compete with a loud drummer, keyboards, guitar, sax in a punk band context?

i originally had the road ready 2x15 with my amp. it was the best tone i ever had. i sold it to get the road ready 4x10 because i thought the 2x15 was too heavy. now i am really missing the tone of the 2x15 but not really into the idea of dealing with the cabinet. i'm wondering if the 1x15 will give me that tone in a smaller package and still be loud enough.

the other option for me would be to find a diesel 2x15 which is significantly lighter than the road ready version.

thanks,

steve

2. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Changing from a 2x15 to a 1x15 is about the same volume change as going from 400 watts to 200 watts.

You could also use the 1x15 and 4x10 together, or two 1x15s ... either of which would put you right back where you want to be but with an easier load in.

3. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I used a Diesel 1x15 for a while. I used it with a Bass 400 too, with 6L6's.

I can be loud with nice tone. Not earth shaking. I prefer to use more cabinets and push them moerately than to drive just one really hard.

I would go with the 2x15 or two seperate cabs (maybe 2x10 on top) if you have the budget and opportunity.