how loud is too loud

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dave_clark69, Aug 10, 2003.

1. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    i was wondering again like always and wa thinking how loud do you need to have your amp for a gig of like a small pub. Would you be good with 60watts or would you need more.

How far would a 60 watt bass amp last you until you need to upgrade to a bigger one?
  2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    if yer playing rock and roll, 60 watts isn't going to cut it. i think 100 watts is pretty much the minimum you would need to play in any bar with a drummer who has any conviction. if the drummer is laid back, there's a slight chance that a really good 60 watt amp will cut it, but i'm doubtful.

my peavey combo is 130 watts, i've played just about every kind of venue imaginable (lest the arena types, but that will come :D ), and i've only had to REALLY push it to it's limits a handful of times. i've owned a couple of 100 watt amps and gigged with them and it seemd i always had to push them.

that's my experience fer whatever it worth to ya.
  3. Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I played a 50W Ampeg in a practice setting at moderate volume and couldn't even hear it - at all. I now play a 200W 4x10 combo that is much better, but I find I still have to push it. I find when I push it that hard, the tone isn't as great as at lesser volume (between 4 and 7 seem to be the best tone-wise). I do play in a rock/blues band with a loud drummer, though so your mileage may vary...
  4. Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    Sell the comco and but an avatar cab and a cheap head. but good.
  5. monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    I think it depends more on the midrange players (guitars, keyboards, etc.) than the drummer as to how much power you need.

A lot of times, I'll be jamming with just the drummer at a given volume, then when the guitars come in, I will have to at least double the volume. The guitar players always seem to blame the drummer. Don't fall into that trap.

At any rate, 60 watts is still going to be pretty thin. You probably need 100 or more just to get a decent midrange, and probably 300-500+ to get a good solid low end.
  6. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I use a 100 watt combo. It is loud enough for a drummer in small gigs/pubs, bc thats all we do, all i need is enogugh sound to fill one room. If we ever move up in life and get big gigs, ill need a nice stack.
  7. monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    From what I understand, the Ampeg is not exactly a slouch in the world of 100 watt combos . . . ;)
  8. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    thanks for the help. you see i was going to have a practice with our drummer and he is loud but he wouldnt be louder than a 60 watt amp but i was playing with the volume on about 8/12 and it started to distort with not much bass or low eq stuff on it.
    Also just out of curiosity does anyone know about a make called shine i think, a friend has just started playing bass and i thought those were not that good to start on