Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How loud should a 200 watt 210 combo be?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Albini_Fan, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    I have an ampeg 210sp, and it's not that loud at all. I know these are bad comparisons, but my friend's 30 watt guitar amp can get ear piercingly loud compared to mine. Is it the amp, or what? I use stock pick ups on my MIM J & some dinky low quality cord, but I doubt that's it.

There's 2 inputs, one for 0 and one for -15. I'm not sure if my pups are active or passive, but maybe I'm plugged into the wrong input? Or maybe amps of this size just arn't loud.. :/

:newbie

2. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    1. bass amps have to be more powerful than guitar amps, because low frequencies need more power to be heard at the same perceived volume. People suggest to have 4 to 10 times the power of the guitar amp.

2. The MIM J is passive, so you should use the 0dB input.

3. The output level of a passive Fender should be high enough to drive the Ampeg to full power (I played a MIM J through an Ampeg BA 115 recently and had no problem)

Finally: I haven't played the Ampeg BA 210, but the BA 115 is fairly loud for it's size, so I suppose the same is true for the BA 210, but just don't expect too much from a 200W 210 bass amp.

3. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Your J bass is passive. The easy way to tell if your bass is active or passive is - does it need a battery? If the answer is no, it's passive. If the answer is yes, it can be active (their mught be a passive bypass, but if the battery is there it's clearly intended to be active or switchable!)

Here's a thought, can you get to the wires that feed the two speakers??? Are they both connected??? Once in the studio, our guitarist was using a 2 x 12 Marshall Valvestate Combo, whihc even on full whack was quite quiet! He'd used this one before and it was much louder.

We had a look over it, the dry/effect signal knob was full on dry (the signal from his guitar - oh, that's a thought, is there an effects loop blend control?). When we checked the back only one speaker wire was connected, the other was just dangling! It is just a push fit spade connector. You might wanna check yours!

4. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    I had it in the -15db :D :rolleyes: :bawl: :p

Yow, it is pretty loud. Now only if I wasn't retarded.