Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How low can you go?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by RAM, Apr 27, 2001.

1. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    How do you like your action set up? Anybody set up their action so low that you get a little buzzing?

2. I like mine as low as possible without any buzzing. I really can't stand it, even unamplified. Right now, I have some buzzing on certain frets of all three of my basses, and I'm learning to live with it, rather than tweaking them constantly. But I guess my preferred action is "medium." Pacman picked up my Carl Thompson at the last Atlanta get-together, and proclaimed the action to be "manly."

3. Hmmm.....

I don't get buzzing on my fretless. The neck is just as close to dead straight as it could be set up, and the strings are about 5mm above the fingerboard at the 12th stop.

Most people who try to play my bass get inordinate amounts of board slap. I like it that low. Mwah factor and subtle playing.

My fretted bass is set up exactly how fender recommends. I find it MUCH harder to play (but still pretty good), but any attempt to lower the action has resulted in unacceptable noise.

I like the way they are set up.

FF

4. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    @ 12nd, my E string is less than 2mm from the fingerboard!! I dunno how much is this in inches, but I can barely pass a CD below the string!

I would love to lower it even more, but then I wouldn't play anything!!!

But I think the way how you play is the better way to set the action...

Figure out Geezer Butler... ;)

5. To measure the action, should I start at the fret or the fingerboard itself??? Also what is the average?

6. I also like my action low, but no buzzing. I used to play high action with my first bass. But now that I got a taste of low action, I love it. Great for slapping and speed.

7. I like it really low, but not so low that it doesn't feel like your even fretting a note.

8. I LIKE it low, but I can't have it as low as I'd like because I LOVE digging in, and I even play back within an inch of the bridge! So I try to get it just where if I pluck really hard, then it'll buzz, but no lower than that. I really liked it when I was in my Flea-esque fret buzz mood, but I raised it so I get the best of both worlds.

9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I tend to set my action alittle high for some peoples taste. A few of my friends that are finger players say that my action is a little to high for them, but I play very agressively w/a pick & with that type of playing, if the action is too low, there is ALOT of buzzing going on. Then again some of my friends say my basses have real nice/low action. Go figure. :)