1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How low is too low for actual minimum impedance?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by astack, Apr 29, 2015.

1. astack

astack

Nov 12, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    Question for Andy, Duke, Alex and the other knowledgeable amp / speaker folk.

How would you feel about a 3x cab with speakers that dip to 7.4 ohms @ 150Hz, so 2.47 ohms minimum? Could you conscionably say it's good to use with any given 4 ohm capable class D head at gig levels?

As another example, a deltalite 2512 II dips to 5.2-ish ohms at 200Hz, so a 2x cab would be 2.70 ohms minimum. I think there are some Eminence drivers that are a touch lower, but this is one that comes to mind and is a common commercial base model, so it's been proven to not melt amps.

TIA!

2. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    What is the phase angle at that frequency?

3. astack

astack

Nov 12, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    It'd be these Fanes, ran full range, sealed.

http://www.audiolabga.com/pdf/12-500LF.pdf

I believe I could pull the phase angle from WinISD, but not till this evening. In a sealed box, phase shouldn't get too wonky, IIRC.

4. agedhorse

agedhorse SUSPENDED Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    I wouldn't recommend it.

Having a small amount of sub-nominal impedance isn't as much the problem as the nominal being that low.

astack likes this.
  5. astack

astack

Nov 12, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    10-4, thanks much!