How Low is Your Action On Your Stingray?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Lazlo Panaflex, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Lazlo Panaflex

Lazlo Panaflex

Sep 30, 2003
    Just wondering how low you can go.

Heres mine.

Just to let you guys know i just cleaned it after i took the photos :D
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    My SR5 is a bit lower, my G string saddle is almost all the way down. I levelled the frets twice (and re-crowned them, of course) to get the action nice and low. No buzzing, plays like butter.
  3. Al Bass

Al Bass

Jan 11, 2004
    Lake Worth, Fl
    Just a show of hands: What action-(string height), sounds better with what styles of music? Thanks, Al Bass
  4. Eric, did you level your frets yourself? I thought it was one of those operations you were supposed to leave to luthiers... is it do-able, or are you a setup-wiz? I ask because mine definitley need a leveling but I can't afford to have it done.

On topic: (though I can't see the pictures?!) my action is medium I think. I like the growl of strings-hitting-frets, but still want some room to dig in. Too low action, and the notes gets choked when you get a little frisky...
  5. Hofbrauhaus

Feb 10, 2002
    Upton, MA
    Just because your saddles are low doesn't mean you have low action. If you have lots of relief in your neck you'll still have high action even if your saddles were as low as they could go. I have an Stingray5 with my neck relief set to .012 at the 8th fret, and my saddles also look slightly lower than yours. My action is 2.3mm on my B string and 2mm on the other 4 strings. I'm sure your neck relief is fine, but I just wanted to make the point that low saddles doesn't mean low action. You gotta love the Stingray though :cool:
  6. Hofbrauhaus

Feb 10, 2002
    Upton, MA
    oh the action is measured at the 12th fret by the way!
  7. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I've left mine at the factory setting. Works for me. I don't want it too low but I hit pretty hard apparently.

Just a quick photography tip. All of your photos have the saddles out of focus. Your camera has focused on the strap in the background.
  8. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I have a Stingray5 and I keep my action at 3/16 of an inch at the 12th fret across all the strings. Low enough to play quickly and high enough to dig in. Works for me
  9. I too keep my action at 3/16". I find the recommended 3/32" too low.