Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How low is your bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by imLOST, Jan 17, 2003.

1. imLOST

imLOST

Jan 12, 2003
    Iowa.
    And no I dont mean, "My bass stole stuff while I was at a gig." :D But I mean with the strap.

My bass stops just above my knees. You?

2. For me it's how high is your bass.

I can't give you an exact measurement, but I wear it above my waist so I can get optimal playability. When will you guys learn that the lower down you use it, the harder it will be to play, not to mention your hand curving in a bad way (that's more of a Mark Hoppus height)

Anywho, that's my 0.02 cents.

3. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    right on my gut. My wrist is comfortable, my elbow is comfortable, and my shoulder is comfortable.

4. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    :eek:
    Whatever works for ya!
    If you do a search I'll bet you find some existing threads on this - but to answer the question, I like to position my bass so that my right hand plays on my A string directly over my belly button.

5. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

But it's just not cool to play your bass at an optimal height. You have to let it hang around your knees while you jump up and down and bang out root notes (and maybe fifths if you're REALLY good). Come on guys...playing it at your stomach? That's not what the teeny boppers like to see!

:D

6. I go from the upper horn at my breast (im a guy!, i think.. :eek: !!) to about an inch lower. Just depends.

It sucks. My bass is either too low, or too high. :(

7. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Yah the whole ape-guitar style doesn't really appeal to me. Getting carpal tunnel is really cool!:rolleyes: I play with my bass about waist high, maybe a little higher...I like to sit down and play whenever possible though...

8. I can't play sitting down :(

9. Usually around me waist, its lower than most people's Optimum height because I have longer arms. I like my elbow to be perpendicular to the neck and still be able to hit each string.

10. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    this is me with my Salas

[​IMG]

11. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Bingo! That's why I play mine up high. If I sling it low, there is zero curvature.

I also like to have the fretboard up closer.

12. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I try to have it about the height it's at when I'm playing sitting down with a straight back. The cool punk and hardcore bands probably wouldn't want me to play with them, but it's kind of mutual.

13. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Same height as when you sit? Looks to me like you have that tiny bass right by your chin, Pal...and, what's with that crazy stick in your hand?
    :confused:

[​IMG]

:D

14. Depends on how I want to play. If I'm playing my J-bass (no pick, ever), it sits on my gut. If I'm slumming with my Rickenbacker and want to use a pick for a few songs, it's down by my belt.

I've heard the joke about the evolution of bass playing - how it starts at your knees and as you develop as a player it works its way up to under your chin, but I think it really depends on how, and what, you play.

15. I am a nipple rider... well almost.
    Looks funny, a skinny kid with a six around his upper body. I look so small

16. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Neckbolt above the navel. When I started I played with my bass slung low also, but when it came time to really play I had to lift the bass to get a better command of the instrument. I think when you are young at your instrument you tend to want to look cool and do as the so called cool guy's do, But when you really get serious and start to sit down to figure out intricate bass parts you WILL pick the bass up higher when you stand back up to play. Someone here said they play about the same height almost as the seated position, I find this to be true with myself. Playing bass at your knee's to me is like those guy's you see driving down the street with the seat all the way back, seat back tilted down and driving looking out the rear drivers side window!:confused:

17. I play the strings with my teeth.

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I wear mine pretty high, when playing fingerstyle.

[​IMG]

When I play my 12, I wear it below the waist. Makes using a plectrum easier, for me.

19. Bazzist

Bazzist

Dec 7, 2002
    Nova Scotia
    I play so the bottom of my bass touches the top of my knee cap i know to u guys this is low buti have long arms so i can play at optimum at this height or waist (any heigher hurts my back, and also my technique sucks when i play this high due to wrist cramps n harder to slap)