Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how low suboctave can go?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by indie-visible, Oct 6, 2000.

1. I was told once that octaver effects work effectively only down to B on the 3rd string. Is this caused by effect units themselves, or by restrictions of amplification? Are there any conditions when it's possible to reproduce the suboctave of low E, or even low B? Maybe huge portals?
    At least John Turner says he plays bass with the lowest string tuned F# of that octave!!!

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I 've heard explanations of this phenomenon as being to do with the fact that it is very difficult or impossible to "track" notes that low. It's the same problem with using a midi converter - it can't read the notes beyond the A string very well. I think what happens is that the harmonics become more prevalent than the fundamental - to do with the physics of sound - so that the pedal or whatever can't determine the pitch of the note and has several harmonics that are providing a stronger signal, but it doesn't know which of these harmonics to use and fluctuates randomly between them.

3. My EBS octave pedal is good down to A-flat on the E-string. The EBS is the best octave pedal I have tried and tracks WAY better than the BOSS pedal. Boosting the bass on your instrument helps the pedal track better on the lower notes.

4. Like Swimming

Like Swimming

Aug 10, 2000
    Why?

Why would you want, or need, to go that low?

I don't understand.

It's one thing to be experimental, but it's another just to waste your time and money.

5. Mo' bass

Mo' bass

May 4, 2000
    Netherlands
    I heard a demo of the SWR Mo' bass amp (which has build in effects). The octaver seemed to track perfectly to even the low B. I haven't tried it myself though, but I will soon...

But like Like :) said: Why so low? You will need some kick a$$ amp to put out these frequencies. Octave below the low B is 15,5 Hz. Wow, this is going to eat all the power of your amp and then some... plus your speakers will be in for some severe punishing...

6. Well, just wondered ;) I think this must cause a certain effect on the audience :) And the notes are not to be lost, if the normal-pitched bass will sound in the same time.
    Of course, I realise it's not important compared to what you really play, it's not about music, strictly saying. But why not think of it?
    Well, if Mo' Bass is an amp itself, then it must handle those frequencies as an amp right?
    So how do you think are there such speakers in the world? (just curious) :)

7. Mo' bass

Mo' bass

May 4, 2000
    Netherlands
    I think the girls are going to love the feeling of 15.5 Hz!!!!! :)

And you are right, the note is not going to be lost for two reasons: 1. Indeed, the original note is still there and 2. You might not here the fundamental 15.5 Hz but the harmonics are still there and they trick your brain into "hearing" the 15.5 Hz. Cool huh!?!

About speakers:
    Ask John Turner! This guy plays basses that go to the low F#. He has got some serious amps and cabinets.

I have to test the Mo' Bass octaver with my SWR speakers but I think they can't handle such low frequencies at a decent volume. I'm thinking about putting a filter between my amp and speakers to cut off all the really lows (<30Hz) to protect my speakers. Suggestions, anyone???

8. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    People! People! I think that we have seriously misled ourselves on this one!:)

We bass players ( myself included--I ain't pointin' the finger at anyone ) in all our big-bottomed arrogance, have assumed that the octave pedal was designed for us. It wasn't. It was FIRST marketed for guitar players who wanted to sound like US---or just add serious meat to their riffs. But as history shows, it was the bass players who found more use out of this tool. Unfortunately, we are trying to make it do something that was not figured into the original design. Yes----you can seriously damage your speakers with an octave pedal, if you're not careful. To really get the full effect on bass, you should utilize a sub-woofer and a cross-over. I've seen this done and the effect is awesome!

Well so much for the history lesson! :D:D

[Edited by ONYX on 10-11-2000 at 11:47 AM]

9. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    hmmm....octave can make guitar sound somewhat like bass this gives me an idea. :) that's all