1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How lucky can one guy be ? (Gratuitous Wal content)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fender32, Jun 14, 2007.

1. :eek: What an amazing find this was:

A lined fretless Wal mkI Custom neck, made only a month before the fretted neck on my own Wal Custom. A perfect match in every way and the only way that I could have ever afforded to get my hands on a fretless Wal (given current prices)!

I've ordered up another set of Schaller tuners, to that I can swap them over as often as I want to. Best of all, because these Wal basses use threaded brass inserts in the necks and threaded neck bolts, I won't risk making enlarging the screw holes and making the neck joint sloppy!

With the fretless neck on, it plays like a dream and sounds completely different to the way it did with the fretted neck (I like it better this way, even though I'm not much of a fretless player :meh: ). Good incentive to practice more, I guess :D !

Here's some sexy pics:

Before:
    142-4283_IMG.jpg

After:
    142-4297_IMG.jpg

Twins :D :

142-4289_IMG.jpg

Hmm, heads or tails? ;) :
    142-4291_IMG.jpg

Mmmmwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh! :
    143-4306_IMG.jpg

My baby :smug: :
    143-4309_IMG.jpg

2. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    VERY Nice. Now to get another Wal body, right? :D

3. :p Please, no! That would be a very expensive road to walk down, even if I could find one. I'm happy with what I've got now.

That reminds me, I have to change my "TB GAS list" in my profile. Before it read, "I would like a Wal Custom fretless and the ability to play it in tune"! Well, I'm half way there ;) .

4. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    How about some soundclips? ;)

5. ;) Maybe in 6 months, when I've improved my intonation skills sufficiently.

6. Stu L.

Stu L.

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Nice. I usually don't care for Wal's, but that looks great. :cool:

7. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    I gotta ask, where's the bass that the neck belonged to? If someones parting it out, I'd be really interested in the pickups and preamp.

8. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    You are a lucky man.

9. What's with the 'Carl' and the face drawn in? :p
    Dan

10. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

+1 to that.

11. Actually, the story is:

The orginal owner ordered the bass to be made as a fretless. After several months, he decided that he wasn't getting on very well with playing fretless (I know that feeling :meh: ) and decided to get Wal to make him a fretted neck for the bass. Presumabley, the bass was later sold on seperately from the fretless neck, as the guy I bought the neck from, had used it briefly on one of his Wals and no longer needed it due to owning another fretless Wal.

So, sadly, no other parts available from this one :( .

12. :smug: Good question!

All I know is that Carl was one of Electric Wood's employees around the mid-80's to early '90s, who made most of the necks that I've seen for the custom basses.

The little cartoon head, was sort of his trademark.

I'm wondering now if my two necks serve to date the beginning of that trend :meh: , or whether it was somehitng that he just did from time to time!? Interesting !

:D

13. nickbear

nickbear

Jun 12, 2007
    surrey, uk
    beautiful!

im a big fan of wal mk 1 basses! im very jealous...

14. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Inactive

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    You. Friggin'. SUCK! :spit: ;)

I wanted one of those for so long and now they're outta production... so good luck to me. :meh:

15. now all you need is another bridge, a spare set of strings, some tuners, and a 4-screw plate and you'll have yourself a NICE looking double neck ;)

16. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Schwing!

17. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    They're not "out of production". Pete Stevens is simply not taking new orders until he finishes getting the new shop set up and clears out some of the backlogged orders currently on the books.

Mike

18. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Inactive

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Guess that changed from last time I checked then. I remember reading not too long ago he wasn't sure if there were going to be anymore made or whatnot.

19. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC/JAM USA: Distributor of Ashdown amplification
    I'm mostly a fretless player and one of my biggest influenses is Percy Jones......Wal user.

I wore out many vinyl albums in the 70's and 80's learning those licks that he played on his Wal's.

One great tune he did was a duet with bassist John Giblin....another Wal user. The name of the tune is Wal to Wal.

Beautiful bass you have there.

20. :meh: Don't despair, rockstarbassist! There are still plenty out there for sale, if you keep looking.

Here's one that sat on ebay UK for a whole week and didn't attract a single bid :eek: ! It's almost identical to mine, looks to be in great condition and was even up for less than I paid for mine. £2,000 is a bit of a bargain, these days :scowl: .

I have to assume that the guys' feedback (1) put everyone off :meh: .

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=010&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=200116035684&rd=1&rd=1

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021