Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How mant TBer's bought their Essex because of the hype on here?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Oct 7, 2002.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I ordered my sjb-62TM in black today. I would have never heard of them if it weren't for this board, and definitely wouldn't have even considered buying a bottom priced instrument if it weren't for all of the rave reviews on here. I'm really looking forward to getting her, and am considering putting A musicman humbucker in the exact MM position, just for fun and see what happens. Thanks for the heads up guys!

2. I think I was one of the first TBers to buy an Essex. I bought mine after reading Nino's review on his.

3. hey chaos, how does your essex stand up to other basses you own?

4. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    I don't know Chaos, I got mine before I even knew about TB.
    How many Tb'ers have one with a maple board and Essex spelled out on the headstock? a serial numbered neck plate?
    I bought mine because it looked like a decent practice bass. Man, was I suprised when I got it out and set the action right. Forget about trying to measure the neck/body joint, you couldn't get a feeler guage in there if you tried. It's gig worthy.

Black w/ maple neck, tort. guard, Basslines.

K

5. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    For sure I got mine after reading about them on this site. I've had it for 2 months now and it is great. The only thing I needed to change was the strings when I got it. It's killer and I can't believe how inexpensive it was in comparison to the quality. I would buy another one (and probably will!!):D

6. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I drove to the store to check 'em out after I read the TB hype. I bought one after I tried it. :D

TB doesn't really count as hype, because most people have actually tried the stuff they post about. That's better than most advertising.

7. It gets more play than my Squier P bass. It also gets more play than my Yamaha BBG5 (5 string Jazz). I'm thinking about getting another one when the Lake Placid Blue or the Metallic Red get back n stock.

8. what kind do you have, CG? i really want a BG80.

9. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I ordered mine after reading through the entire mega-thread. I was expecting a good bass, but WOW! I love this thing. Once I get a job, I'm gonna order a 62 and maybe a BG-80. I brought mine to school the day after I got it. By the end of the day, I think I had unintentionally sold about three guys on Essex if for nothing else, the neck on mine. :eek: :D

I can't wait untill the new shipment comes in.

10. Gulice

Gulice

Sep 13, 2002
    i have one in a translucent blue. but im tottally changing it. I defretted it, painted it.. looks really funky now

11. I've got the SJB-62. Black finish, solid maple aftermarket P bass neck, and after market bridge.

I'm getting a BG-80 for a friend. I'm teaching him, and figured for the money, it's the best beginner bass, and if he doesn't like it, I'm sure I will. :D

12. BigTopBruno

BigTopBruno

Sep 6, 2002
    NJ, USA
    I did...bought a 5 string Yamaha copy for $169 two days ago. It's cool....bought it as a first fiver and to practice with my son around (who will beat it up).

I had the luxury of living close to the store, so I was able to sift thru and pick one that I liked (you could see construction issues on some...the one I picked looks real good, though).

I changed strings and adjusted the the action,and now it plays and feels nice. Sound is not great amped, a new pup would do the trick, but I probably will not gig with this.

Can't beat it for the price.

BTB

13. I bought my BG150 Jazz after I read Nino's and Hambone's reviews. I havn't been disappointed at all by the bass.

14. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    my first bass was a team.
    a red p-bass. i bought it off my friend for $40.
    i sold it for $50 when i got my ibanez gsr100.
    and then he sold it for $100!! how? this was before i even knew anything about them.
    i am thinking about getting another sx.
    i would like to get a jazz and put two mm pups in there.

steve

15. kurtzentmaier

kurtzentmaier

Aug 10, 2002
    Union, NJ
    There is no doubt we get some sales as a result of postive comments here (or anywhere). So I do appreciate that!

I hope to keep everyone happy. We are really looking forward to the 2003s The should start comming in starting in Dec. I will let you know about them when they start showing up. We hope for even better quality and continued low pricing.

Kurt
    Rondo

16. I bought mine because I needed an inexpensive but good looking beginner 5-string, but unfortunately, it came with a warped neck, so I had to send it back and I had called them asking why that had happened, and they told me that they are looking into it because a lot of their basses are having that problem.

17. I hate to be a nay sayer, I really wish it had a good neck cuz I loved that thing the first time I ever saw it. Other than the neck they are worth it.

18. I bought my '75 SX because of the reviews here. It's only a backup bass, and I've got a J-retro in it, but it's pretty decent. I agree that you definitely need to sift through them as the quality is a bit inconsistent, but that's what you expect for the price. I've noticed that the '75 seems to have better fretwork than the '62, but that's also what you would expect due to the price difference.

19. kurtzentmaier

kurtzentmaier

Aug 10, 2002
    Union, NJ
    "I hate to be a nay sayer...."

Actually, I like it. If this forum had nothing but 100% positive review, it would not be too believeable. In any case, yes we sometimes send out bad instruments. Our return rate is quite low, about 2-5%. On the other hand, depending on how busy a week we have, we may get back 2-10 instruments, so I know we have to improve further.

We try hard not to send out bad instruments, but it happens. Also a small percentage of instruments are damanged in shipping. In any case, we will do our best make returns easy by having a standard return form to fill out on our web site, and we can send ups to pickup at no charge to you.

Also I think Essex stuff has really improved from 2001 to 2002. If the 2003 models follow that path it should be a great year.

Kurt

20. I got my second SJB-62 last week, and it's just as good as the first one I bought. The neck pocket route wasn't as tight, and the factory setup was, well... not really set up at all. Which is just fine because I like to do my own setups.

The truss rod needed some minor adjusting, as did the bridge, but overall, the bass is as great as my other one.

If 2003 brings us some new models as well, I'm gonna need to get a second job for GAS money.:D