1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

how many 15's?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by scrambles, Oct 9, 2010.

1. scrambles

scrambles

Jun 6, 2010
    I'm looking to get a Peavey headliner 4x10 cabinet soon and i wanna know should i get 1x15 cabinet to go with it or should i get a 2x15 cabinet? :help:

2. I'm a geezer, I would go light ... but, you're 17 ... go for the 2x15!

What kind of volume, etc. do ya need? HOw many watts ya got?

Myself, I'd go for the 1x15 ..... but that's me and MY needs.

3. Dark Barn

Dark Barn

Aug 3, 2010
    Seattle
    Get the 2x15 OR the 4x10.

4. scrambles

scrambles

Jun 6, 2010
    well if i did get the 1x15 would that be enough to even out the low and high tones though

5. Dark Barn

Dark Barn

Aug 3, 2010
    Seattle
    If you want something to stack your 4x10 on get another 4x10.

6. scrambles

scrambles

Jun 6, 2010
    8x10 wouldnt have as much low end to it as 2x15s and 4x10 or 1x15 and 4x10s

7. Where'd you hear that?

8. scrambles

scrambles

Jun 6, 2010
    friend. but i really dont want an 8x10 cab though

9. scrambles

scrambles

Jun 6, 2010
    well with 2x15s and no 4x10 there would be lots of low end but not much high end

10. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    218. Just for the sake of being whimsical.

11. scrambles

scrambles

Jun 6, 2010
    verily. how bout a 4x15 and a 8x15?

12. Well then it sounds as if an 810 would be the best of both worlds for you... Why don't you want to do an 810?

13. scrambles

scrambles

Jun 6, 2010
    do they have pretty good low end?

14. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    It's not that simple.
    Not every 8x10 is the same. Speaker size has nothing to do with having low-end and/or high-end.

You have decent 10" cabs that can go lower than a crappy 15" cab.
    And you have decent 15" cabs that have more definition in the upper register than a crappy 4x10" cab.

For example, the classic Ampeg 8x10" cab is know to have a serious rolloff of bass (at 60hz??? I believe I heard once).
    That's what makes that cab what it is. Some love it for what it does and how it does it, some don't.
    I have no experience with other 8x10 cabs, but I'm sure there are out there with very good low-end response.

I personally would go for 2 decent 4x10 cabs.
    Or 2 decent 1x15 cabs.
    Or 1 decent 2x15 cab.

There is so much choice out there. :)

15. scrambles

scrambles

Jun 6, 2010
    ill prolly talk to peavey alot about this choice

16. Dapper_Bandit

Dapper_Bandit

Dec 30, 2007
    Cab matching is the way to go. Get all 15s or all 10s. There are several reasons for this and many people here have explained more thoroughly than I, but for the sake of ease I'll put a very brief outline below.

1) Speakers don't have a specific sound, it's all about the design of the cabinet itself. A 4X10 can go lower then a 1X15 in some cases and vice versa.
    2) Mismatching speakers can be detrimental to your sound as the speakers are not phase aligned. Basically, this means that different notes played with the same force can come out at wildly different volumes.
    3) Using matching cabs gives you a volume increase of up to 3db, you would normally have to double the wattage of your amp to acheive a similar volume increase.

The best advice would be to read through the stickys in the amps forum, there's a whole world of information available and we're lucky enough to have some scarily knowledgable posters floating about. Learning the scientific side of how amplification works is a real asset to any musician, bassists especially and you could save yourself from flipping cabs needlessly in future.

My own personal opinion, however, is that you can never have too many 15s. If you're in the US then you have ready access to the best selection of dirt cheap second hand cabs on the face of this planet. Go forth and experiment!

17. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Probably not as well as they would go with themselves. ;)
    (Sorry, we'll just be repeating ourselves.)

Either two of those 2x10" cabs togheter, and stack them vertically.
    Or two of those 1x15" cabs.

I'm not familiar with these Peavey cabs, but I would get two 1x15" cabs (if they are good cabs).

In my opinion the advantage of having the same cabs is you always have to the same sound... when you double up.
    You can have one at your rehearshal space, one at your house, so you only have carry your amp head around.
    And depending on what a gig calls for you take 1 or both cabs with you.

18. scrambles

scrambles

Jun 6, 2010
    only problem about carrying cabs from practice space to home practice is my home space is my bands prac space. also why not get one of each?