Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How many actually play a fretted bass, vs. just have one laying around?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bben, May 5, 2003.

1. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    If you read the "fretless" thread, you would think everyone plays mostly fretless. Now, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, but I don't believe it for a minute! Or am I the only one left playing with frets and need to get with the program?

2. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    1) If you were the only one playing fretted basses, that would be no reason to do otherwise.

2) Take a look at the "what kind of basses do you play?" thread by JT. Notice that a vast majority of the folks here still play fretted basses, in fact quite a few play plain old fours.

3) The reason it appeared that so many people play fretless is that all those people own fretless basses. The question was "how many play their fretless, as opposed to just having one that collects dust". Most folks who own fretless basses play them, as well they should.

3. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I was closely reading that thread too, and I only play fretted basses. I eventually will purchase a fretless bass and hopefully play it, but for now I play with frets.

I agree, those with fretless basses replied to that thead. Most play fretted basses and 4s at that.

Whatever you play- enjoy it.

4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Hey, check out this story I heard. There was this guy a while back, Jocko or something, and he got this old beater Jazz bass. For some reason, he took the frets loose, and then he couldn't get 'em back in! Is that a hoot or what? So he tried to play it, and even though it sounded a little funny , he stuck with it. Pretty soon people started to think he did it on purpose! Coupla bass manufacturers figured out they could sell basses without putting the frets in!! I mean, putting frets in is hard , ever try it? Heck, they don't even give you the dang slots! So people are buyin' em and their fingers are sliding all over the place 'cause there's nothing to stop 'em, I tell ya. Geez, what next?

5. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    That's pretty funny.:D

6. sambass

sambass

Apr 15, 2003
    MA
    Woa! My Sarcasm beacon is going crazy!