1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How Many Bass Players Does it Take to Set a Garden on Fire?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by anonymous0726, Mar 29, 2006.

1. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Hey -- I wanted to run this by everyone here:

I'm thinking of organizing a Bass Player Picnic some time in late May, here at my place in NYC. We have a lot of space here at my place, both inside and with the large driveway, garden and garage, and I'm wondering how many people might be interested in making the hang.

My landlord is a chef with a catering business, and if enough folks were to show up we could probably pitch money in a hat and have some superb grub. The building is loaded with musicians, photographers, etc., so there's a lot of potential to put together a neat-ass 'Great Day in Long Island City' kind of thing.

Shoot me an email message if you're interested and it'll help me get an idea of how big a party it might be, and then, based on that and as the time draws near, we'll start focusing on details.

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
  3. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I'd love to make the road trip. When you get a firmer date, please post.

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    No way. NO WAY. That would be freakin' awesome -- I'm not sure if I could make it, and it may take some cajoling...but...I'd love to.

5. Justin K-ski

Justin K-ski

May 13, 2005
    I'd love to come but it should be done before the festival season starts. What date where you thinking?

6. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    I will get thoroughly drunk and throw up in the garden. :hyper:

7. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I was thinking one of the last two Sundays in May. If there's enough energy otherwise we could shoot for any Sunday in May. I just thought that closer to summer might get us a better chance at good weather. With the mild winter we've had it might not make any difference.

Voice your opinions on this and maybe we'll hammer down a date before a week is up. I head to Shank's in the morning and won't be back in town or online for a few days, so let'er rip and I'll see what we can sort out when I get back.

8. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    Either date is fine for me.

9. dhosek

dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    Anyone interested in doing a bass player picnic in L.A.?

10. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Sounds great, on both coasts. I'm too damn far away sometimes. Whenever you do it, check out this pic; I'll be waving at you from the North Shore.

11. I'm in!

12. appler

appler Guest

It's still high school musical season in New Jersey and I got a couple. If it's not the last Sunday in May I would love to come and represent the TBDB young'uns.

13. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Back online.

I'll be putting up a simple web site soon to help organize and answer questions and the like. I'll put up the URL as soon as I have it. I'm leaning heavily toward the last Sunday in May right now...

14. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    The date has been set for May 21st. The photo will be taken early in the day, probably around 11:00am based on the angle of the sun at the spot where it'll be taken.

With food and photographer expenses I'm working diligently to keep it under $25 per person. If friends/wives/significant others want to attend, the price will be lower as they won't be in the portrait (bass players only! :)). Web site still in the works and will probably be up later this week. Those not wishing to eat or be in the photo will not be charged anything -- the cash is only to cover expenses.

I'm still working out the plan with the photographer as to how we might want to work the picture. His basic fee is $400 and we have to figure out how to deal with distribution. I'm thinking part of our 'hat' fee will be his fee divided by RSVPs. Everyone who antes up will get a reasonable quality JPG version of the picture. Then, maybe sell high-quality prints, maybe even framed, to those who are interested. Still no profit motive here, just enough to cover his time and labor.

Spread the word! I'm hoping to have at least 50 of 'us'...

15. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Autographed photos!! (Hey, could be worth $$ someday).:D

Maybe we could charter a bus and after the bash, head out to OH for the big bass amp extravaganza. :bag:

16. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Dunno about the amp hang for me, but I'll ride along and thumb the rest of my way to Toledo from Fremont...

17. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I got some e-dresses, should I send you those or wait til the website's up and send out the url to my list?

Oh, plus I should print something out and hang it up at my teacher's studio.

18. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Good calls, both. I hesitate to take the list, both on moral principle and also that I'm using the Google list as a 'tentative RSVP' -- kind of a general count. A week or so before the thing I'll get a solid count/RSVP.

I'll have a downloadable and printable flyer up at the site when I get it going. I'll also have a banner that people can post at their sites that will link to the LIC site.

19. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    Wow what a nerd fest. I Can't wait.

20. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    A Great Day in LIC is now a web site. If the link doesn't work you might have to give it a few hours as the domain name is brand new. Pass it around!